FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro HD export Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory Lewis
Final Cut Pro HD export Problem
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:21:34 pm

I'm not sure what is going on. But, everytime I export this particular video I get issues. The audio is off and every now and then there are grey lines and cuts.

The first try I just simple did a export with current settings and a self-contained movie and it looks the same on my computer. Then I go and try and export without self-contained and it still looks the same. It's also darker. None of the color-correction seems to have worked.

Here are two different exports of the same video:

Here the audio is off and no color correction:

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro HD export Problem
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:32:54 pm

What format are you cutting? What are the sequence settings?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Cory Lewis
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:40:56 pm

1920 x 1080 (16:9)
H.269 compressor.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:56:04 pm

[Cory Lewis] "H.269 compressor."

BUUZZZZZZZZZ!!! Never edit H.264 in FCP. It doesn't like that format. It's deceptive, as it SEEMS to like it. It works intially...but after a while, errors pop up. You must convert that footage to ProRes before editing.

If you want to edit H.264 native...use Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Cory Lewis
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:01:22 pm

Ooookay. What does that do for my "export problem"? I already edited without any problems and have edited before in the past. (i.e. I'm not trying to scrap this 15 minute video and start over in Premiere) Only difference is this is longer. I have yet to receive an error message. Yet, its just messed up when I export.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:07:55 pm

[Cory Lewis] "What does that do for my "export problem"? "

It points to the reason you are having export issues is due to the fact that FCP doesn't work with H.264 well at all. You can try to Media Manage your cut to ProRes, see if that fixes it. But the reason why it isn't working is that H.264 and FCP don't mix.

That is why I asked what format you are working with. Most of the time people say "I have export issues" or render issues, it is because they are working with non-FCP media.

Try converting what you have to ProRes...again, with the Media Manager and the COPY option. Or...copy and paste into a ProRes sequence and render. That might do it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Cory Lewis
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:12:05 pm

I'll go ahead and I try it but I'm still confused though.

Here is another video I did with the same footage (just about) and the same settings and I didn't have this issue. Again, albeit it's shorter.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:39:43 pm

[Cory Lewis] "I'll go ahead and I try it but I'm still confused though."

Well, Apple should make it NOT work...because it is problematic.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Cory Lewis
on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:08:34 pm

Ahhhhh!!!!!!! I really don't get it! I spent all night exporting (twice) and as it comes to the end I get "General Error" with no explanation. When I export as self-containing movie. Then when I export without it, it comes out fine. Except when I transfer to Compressor or Quicktime it has no video it just comes out as an audio file. What am I doing wrong?!

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Feb 29, 2012 at 2:23:44 pm

Have you only selected the audio preset in compressor?

Carrrrrrr Carrrrrrrrrrrrr

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:45:18 pm

[Cory Lewis] "...it's shorter. "

Yes, and you didn't have problems. But you do now. When cutting in H.264, the problems grow as the edit gets longer. That's why Shane has now told you twice about not using H.264 for editing.

If you follow his advice, you may be able to salvage your edit. But you have to do what he says and not complain about it.

Consider it a lesson learned: you don't use H.264 in FCP, plain and simple, end of story.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:33:50 pm

Supposedly, this is not an issue in Final Cut X, but in FCS3/ Final Cut 7, he's right.

Return to posts index

Cory Lewis
on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:45:44 pm

Yea it's an issue with FC7. I changed the sequence setting to Apple ProRes and now I'm rendering the entire video over again.

Return to posts index

Cory Lewis
on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:44:43 pm

Relax, it wasn't a complaint. I just needed clarification and I got it. I'm working on fixing the problem. I'll get back to you all if it works or not.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:45:27 pm

FIngers crossed!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Russ Carlin
on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:53:33 am

Look forward to hearing how it turns out as it's similar to a problem i had before.

I'm currently cutting a short film in ProRes so i will live and learn!

Carrrrrrr Carrrrrrrrrrrrr

Return to posts index

Cory Lewis
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:03:25 pm

Ooooookay. I think it's safe to say your idea worked, Shane. Thanx for the advice. Going forward I will convert my files before I edit. Seems like a pain but if it stops this from happening again, then so be it.

What I did was:
- I changed the sequence settings to "Apple Pro Res 422" and had to re-render (it took me all night but I have about 2 gigs of space left on my computer).

- I tried to export without changing the settings. I figured I would do what I usually did and convert it to youtube quality via Quicktime. But, Quicktime wouldn't read the video, it would only play the audio.

- I ended up converting the file using Quicktime Conversion and "Apple ProRes 422 (HD)" and it looks like it worked. I got a super huge file (11 gigs) but I'm compressing it now and everything looks normal.

lol, hopefully someone else finds an easier way, lol. But, my computer has other issues aside from this so I don't blame FCP. I just needed to free up some extra space to make the computer go faster.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:26:20 pm

[Cory Lewis] "- I ended up converting the file using Quicktime Conversion and "Apple ProRes 422 (HD)" and it looks like it worked. I got a super huge file (11 gigs) "

OK, you are going to have to realize that 11GB is not "super huge." That is about, what? 12 min of video? H.264 is HIGHLY compressed, and not suited for editing, as you noticed. because of the compression. YOu needed to make it into an edit friendly codec, and that means that file sizes will be bigger. Be glad that ProRes exists, otherwise you'd be dealing with Uncompressed video for the same quality, and file sizes 10x larger than ProRes.

Solution: Get bigger drives. 4TB drives are under $500.

[Cory Lewis] "lol, hopefully someone else finds an easier way, lol"

There is. If you want to edit natively, look at using solutions that do that: FCX, Premiere Pro...to name two. They work natively, but have a LOT going on under the hood to make it so.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Glo Aurelije
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:41:18 pm

Hy,
the same thing happened to me today. I'm a student, and tomorrow is my exam so I have about two hours left to save my footage.
I know i know, i should have worked earlier, but now i have a 20min video with this problem. so the thing is, i have to ask another stupid question because my movie is on college computer and i can't check what will work for me.
anyway the stupid question is

if i go and use quick time conversion, i'll put apple prores 422, but what about apple intermediate codec ? we usually work with apple int. codec and not prores. what is the difference? prores 422 is better for HD videos i guess?

sorry to be bugging you but after the last 12 hours entirely spent in fcp i really dont know what is what.. thank you :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]