FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV to ProRes HQ export issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Hall
HDV to ProRes HQ export issue
on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:59:29 pm

Hi there everyone. Anyone advice would be greatly appreciated.

This may be a rudimentary issue, but I haven't been able to find a answer to this particular issue yet.

I am a "novice" filmmaker who is trying to get the best out of the footage I shoot with my canon xha1 camera. My footage hasn't been that "bad" because I just got a paying gig as a DP based on it, but for this paying job I want to produce the best video possible.

My camera records in HDV, and when I edit I ALWAYS select to use current clip settings whenever I start editing. So I'm editing an HDV sequence

I've been scarred to try ProRes or any setting outside of the defaults from fear of fatally screwing something up. But I have seen many "test shoots" with xha1's that look much cleaner than mine.

So, yesterday I reexported a short film by selecting quicktime conversion and using ProRes HQ.

When I played the resulting .mov file the file size was much larger, but picture looked a bit nicer.

BUT, the movie skipped in some instances and froze in others, and the image was cropped on the sides.

Any advice on what I did wrong? Any advice on a better work flow? Any advice?

I'm using an Imac:
3.06 GHz intel core 2 duo processor
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory
And I use a 4 TB G-Raid for my scratch disk

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: HDV to ProRes HQ export issue
on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:17:04 pm

If you have a RED, Pro Res HQ is good.

But you have HDV, so normal ProRes 422 will give you every bit as much image quality without the penalty of larger file size.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandon Hall
on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:22:31 pm

Note taken. I just kinda figured the HQ would give a better result, but with the more I read up on codecs I'm learning that there comes a point of diminishing returns.

But does that explain the cropping and the freezing?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:41:24 pm

Was the 16x9 footage CROPPED to 4x3 or was SQUEEZED horizontally to 4x3? HDV resolution is 1440x1080 with a pixel aspect ratio of something like 1.33. If you count pixels, you'll see that it's a 4x3 ratio... but a 16x9 image.

FCP should have an Easy Setup you can use to ingest footage properly. You can also work in a 1920x1080 timeline and FCP will stretch to fit. Although I don't use HDV, I believe there's also an easy setup that converts HDV to 1920x1080 ProRes 422.

Playback? It's tough to say because we don't know how your media storage devices are connected. In general, 422 won't have as many problems as HQ.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]