FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing mouseless (as possible) comparing options..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Weinstein
Editing mouseless (as possible) comparing options..
on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:01:15 am

Over the past year I have had pain in my hands from long hours of editing. I foolishly editing on a laptop for many years which contributed to the problem. I've since tried out many mouses and different options but still suffer. I really don't want to have to give up editing so I want to learn more about different options.

Some questions I have:

- I have heard great things about using the wacom tablet for reducing repeated stress injury, yet when I asked a professional they said it wasn't very ergonomic at all. Do you really find it's reduced hand strain or are there people who find it just creates a new hand strain?

- Ive heard great things as well about the shuttle pro2 but I worry it is going to end up hurting as well. Is it ergonomic? I currently find using a tv remote in my left hand causes some pain so I wonder if I should even buy a shuttle pro?

I have most keys on my keyboard set up to different functions in FCP but still find you need the mouse a lot of the time. I spend a lot of time selecting footage grouping it, moving it around, deleting gaps, etc... is there anyway to get around selecting and moving groups of footage to different parts of the timeline without a mouse?

----

Some things to share..

I heard that the bluetooth keyboard that comes with the mac is not good for your fingers and leads to strain because the keys don't have enough give, they hit the bottom too quick... as I'm typing this it seems pretty true!

I have tried a vertical mouse which had rave reviews but it makes my knuckles and the area surrounding hurt. My wrist also feels weird on it. Does it work for some of you out there?

I purchased 3 pedals which I set for different hot keys. I'm still experimenting with what I want to choose them for. I just wanted to take a bit of work away from my hands. Anyone out there use pedals as part of their editing?

Basically I have a huge work month ahead but I'm just worried about permanent damage to my hands that's why I'm trying so hard for solutions! I was very excited about a mouse you control with your foot but then was told that it'll mess up your ankle and knee and that is not worth it!

Tomorrow I have to online order the products because I need them to get my work done....

so basically I'm trying to decide the best options?

shuttle pro2, wacom tablet, ergonomic keyboard, more pedals???

I'm also going to order a hand shoe mouse which is something I want to try.... its getting expensive as well but I either pay up or give up editing as a profession :(

so complicated! any insight at all would be lovely! cheers!

Laura

Return to posts index

Greg Leslie
Re: Editing mouseless (as possible) comparing options..
on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:22:03 pm

Hi, Laura.

I feel your pain -- after years of mousing (right-handed) and shuttling a linear editor, I developed carpal tunnel in my right wrist. To take the load off, I started using a stylus and tablet instead of a mouse (I write left-handed).

I haven't had a mouse hooked to my Mac in years. I use the flat Mac keyboard and a small Bamboo tablet. Works great and no more wrist strain. Plus, the tablet is a huge help in Photoshop and After Effects.

good luck,
Greg Leslie
Tulsa

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:54:21 pm

thanks for responding. that's great that you curbed the problem!

I wonder though.. my strain is also in my fingers not just my wrist and writing with a pen does feel a bit awkward would you still recommend the tablet in that case?

Return to posts index

Greg Leslie
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:56:21 am

Laura, all I can do is recommend the advice of a professional before you do lasting (or more lasting) damage. I took anti-inflammatories and wore a wrist brace for many months, and had to unlearn a lot of bad habits before I started to get better.

Sometimes it's not the fault of the input device (mouse, tablet, trackball) but their positions relative to the editor and monitors. Your editing posture can be a factor, too. You will probably have to try a variety of things before you hit on the right combination.

Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know,

Greg

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:23:06 pm

Thanks for all the advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]