FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed media headaches

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emma Ella
Mixed media headaches
on Feb 27, 2012 at 8:00:17 pm

I'm in FCP7, cutting a music video where most of the clips are ProRes 422 HQ. My timeline is 2048 x 1152, 23.98 fps. Everything plays fine, no renders necessary.

I'd like to use some media that came off of a toy cam at 640 x 480, 29.29 fps. I want to avoid render times so I want to convert them. But no matter what settings I try in Compressor, I get big red render bars once I put them in my timeline. I'm changing the framerate to 23.98, I'm upsizing the height to 1152, I'm using 422 HQ compression, and still... the red bar looms. What gives? Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Mixed media headaches
on Feb 27, 2012 at 11:00:08 pm

[Emma Ella] "My timeline is 2048 x 1152, 23.98 fps"

Where did you get that frame size? Standard frame size for HD is 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720.

FCP never has allowed mixed frame sizes without rendering.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 27, 2012 at 11:23:26 pm

Check the pixel aspect ratio. Try framerate at 24/1.001 = 23.976

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 28, 2012 at 4:06:30 am

[Emma Ella] "My timeline is 2048 x 1152, 23.98 fps"

Where did you get that frame size? Standard frame size for HD is 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720.

That is a standard size for 2k. 640 x 480 is 4:3 however. So aspect, frame size and frame rate are all wrong. It is also possible that the original is interlaced.

If you have After Effects, you may be able to scale up and drop into a quicktime with the exact settings. As mention 23.976 is the correct rate.

Return to posts index

Emma Ella
on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:49:12 am

I just brought all of the footage in with log and transfer and the Red plug-in, and that was the size of the shots. When I let the sequence conform to the first clip, the timeline ended up at that size, too. Is this problematic?

So I know a tiny 4:3 at 30fps and a gargantuan 16:9 at 23.98 don't play nicely, but is there some sort of ideal way to process the small clips? Sounds like I might have blown it from the get-go on my giant-sized sequence set-up. Green render bars are no big deal, but I can't seem to get anything better than a red bar, and that's just a big hassle for editing.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:12:23 pm

I like to use After Effects so I'm going to recommend After Effects for converting the footage: both in scale and in frame rate... which as we all know is actually 23.976.

But I have to tell you: there isn't much you can do about the God-awful look of SD blown up to 2k. Instant HD from Red Giant Software can help a little, but it can't work miracles.

Do you intend to pillarbox the SD footage, or REALLY blow it up so it fits the entire screen, thereby cutting off the top & bottom of the 4x3 image?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emma Ella
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:29:23 pm

I have to REALLY blow it up. No black boxes allowed. The saving grace is that the SD footage is shot to look awful from the get-go. It's literally a toy camera. We aren't trying to pretend it's anything but boxy, grainy, blown out nonsense. So my concern is less about image quality and more about being unable to get a clean conversion that plays perfectly on my 2k timeline. I was able to convert it to 1440x1080 at the new framerate, and it then stretched itself out once it was on my timeline (I still don't completely understand why it does that). I adjusted in my motion tab, pulling the aspect ratio back to 0 instead of -33, and I'm now in green render zone. This is a massive improvement already.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:53:21 pm

It sounds like you're set. Glad to hear it. You don't hear about intentionally bad-looking footage very often.

1440x1080 is not only a 4x3 aspect ratio in square pixels, it's the resolution at which HDV cameras shoot. FCP's well-acquainted with it, assumes it's SD footage, and usually scales it to fit.

Thus, your footage is now stretched horizontally by one-third. From your description, this could actually be a good thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]