FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clips from tape imported with AIC. Does sequence setting have to match?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Chavinsky
Clips from tape imported with AIC. Does sequence setting have to match?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 6:19:55 pm

I've heard the best codec to render out for a Lossless master is with Apple ProRes 422 (HQ). I imported the clips from a Sony Z1U with a, Frame Size, of 144x1080, Pixel Aspect at HD1440x1080, and AIC compressor.

Should I keep I keep AIC as the Compressor in "Sequence Settings"? or is Apple ProRes 422 still the best codec to export a Lossless Master?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Clips from tape imported with AIC. Does sequence setting have to match?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 6:21:53 pm

ProRes is better.

Next time don't go through the AIC at all. Use ProRes from the get go. The AIC took a lot of picture quality away that the original had.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Dave Chavinsky
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:57:27 pm

So, I've changed all my settings for future, but when making the highest quality Master for those sequences where footage was compressed with AIC, should I use ProRes as the compressor in the sequence settings? Or should I just leave it at AIC, which the sequence is currently using.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:02:59 am

Choose file/export/QuickTime movie... then "Use Current Settings", and check on Make Movie Self contained. That's the same quality you have now. It will be the AIC codec. if you're Sequence settings are that.

It will not recompress the video you have now in any way. So that's what would be best sans redoing it all from a ProRes transfer of the source then reconform to your edit.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]