FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast monitor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cal Thorley
Broadcast monitor?
on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:18:36 am

Hi there.
Not sure where best to ask but figured there'd be plenty of editors here anyway! Apologies if there's a better forum suited to the question.

I'm looking for a basic reference monitor for editing and minor colour correction for broadcast.
It needs to be HD with SDi inputs at a minimum, prefer around the 21" size.

I'd really like the FSI LM-2140W but the shipping and tax I'll cop puts it right at the max of what I could budget for.

There's a new Panasonic BT-LH2150 which "sounds" ok and is approx $1300NZ cheaper for me but I've been unable to find out anything about it. No reviews, only the panasonic sales brochure which, let's face it, isn't exactly going to point out any faults or shortcomings. Anyone have any experience with these?

Anything else I should be looking at?
Any help much appreciated. Cheers

Return to posts index

Hans Damkoehler
Re: Broadcast monitor?
on Feb 26, 2012 at 1:21:52 pm

For me Broadcast monitors have always been a really subjective subject, with cost being a major factor between what I would get if money were no object, and reality.

That said, the BT series has been my choice. I've worked with the 17" and 26" models and have been happy. I miss not having a blue gun mode for calibration, and the fan can be a little annoying from time to time but there are upsides too. The waveform monitor and form factor has allowed me to dual purpose the monitor for the field and for edit. The 17" model seems to be a staple of many rental house offerings. Image reproduction, color has always been tack on for me and not an issue. It will serve you well.

If you like the first one you mentioned and it's in your budget, I'd go for it. You will probably feel the best about the image on a monitor you have a pre-disposed confidence in. For me, the BT series has worked well. I purchased my first one, btw, because I could not afford the Sony and Marshall monitors I was eyeing at the time.

Good luck!

Hans Damkoehler
VideoBloom, Inc.
Senior Video Editor/Producer

Web: hd-editor.com
Twitter: hd_editor
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/hdeditor

Return to posts index

Cal Thorley
Re: Broadcast monitor?
on Feb 26, 2012 at 8:02:34 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I've heard great things about the BT series but I'm not sure where this new model fits in.
It's 21" and listed for $2000NZ cheaper than the 17" 1710 so it's obviously compromised - definitely on inputs but where else!
As you say, might be best to stick with the one I know is good, but lots more $.
Cheers,
Cal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]