FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP > Compressor >Toast 9 > blu ray burn

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Jenkins
FCP > Compressor >Toast 9 > blu ray burn
on Feb 25, 2012 at 8:15:37 pm

Im searching here (and everywhere online) for best blu ray burning results but so many contrasting opinions of how to get there.

Heres what I have:
A 4 minute apple pro res 422, 1920x1080P 23.98 video.
FCP 6.05
compressor 3.0.5
toast 9 titanium
LG wh12ls39 blu-ray disc rewriter from OWC external burner
Single layer BD-R 25 gb
G5 dual 1.8 ghz

I want compressor 3.0.5 to do the encoding correctly so Toast wont re-encode and ultimately screw up the quality of blu ray. And from reading online its seems hard to get compressor to give you exactly what toast 9 needs so it doesnt re-encode.

Some have said use Mpeg2, some h264, some mpeg 4.
Can someone help me with workflow and the neccessary settings that are needed in both compressor 3.0.5 and toast 9 ?

Im wondering do i start with hd mpeg2 preset in compressor 3.0.5 (even though that was for the now defunct HD DVD format) and then tweak the settings a bit, or start with Mpeg 2 presets either program stream or transpport stream (IM HEARING THAT TRANSPORT STREAM IS IMPORTANT IS THIS TRUE) and tweak one of those, or go h264 or mpeg 4 route. Also want to know what average and maximum bitrate settings I should use on this 4 minute 1080p 23.98 video? And should I keep it at 23.98 or convert it in compressor to 29.97 for some reason. (read somewhere that maybe 29.97 could be better for blu ray results), and should i keep it at 1080p or convert it to 1080i (also someone suggested 1080i is how he got best results)
appreciate any help on this
thank you
Brad

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: FCP > Compressor >Toast 9 > blu ray burn
on Feb 26, 2012 at 4:26:37 am

I do not believe you can create a h.264 Blu-ray file in your version of Compressor. FCS 3 introduced creating Blu-ray. This is what I do in FCS 3. I use Apple H.264 for Blu-ray preset. In Toast, make sure you set it not to re-encode. I also have the Matrox Compress HD card which encodes h.264 Blu-ray files near real time.

[Brad Jenkins] "Im wondering do i start with hd mpeg2 preset in compressor 3.0.5 (even though that was for the now defunct HD DVD format)"

This setting will not work for Blu-ray. Your Stream Usage must be set to Blu-ray. Once again, you can't do this in FCS 2.

What you will need to do is drop your QT movie into Toast and let it do the encoding. Set it to the highest setting. On your G5, be prepared to wait. Good thing you have going for you is your video is only 4 minutes.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Brad Jenkins
on Feb 26, 2012 at 6:01:02 am

Steve,
By "set at the highest setting" do you mean set the bitrate to its highest setting in toast which is 26 for both average and maximum in toast 9? or can you explain exactly which settings you are talking about?
thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Brad Jenkins
on Feb 26, 2012 at 4:08:54 pm

Steve, or anyone else in the know.
I set the average bit rate and maximum bit rate to the highest settings in toast 9 (which is 26 mbps for both average and maxium), I wasnt sure if this is what you meant steve by "set to highest setting". The blu ray came out all choked up. Can anyone tell me what my best options are for setting avg and max bitrate, considering Im having to use toast 9 to do the encoding? I've heard you can go all the way upto 40mbps or as low as 15mbps. Can anyone dial me in a little better than that :)
thanks in advance
Brad

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 26, 2012 at 4:49:14 pm

I suggested highest bit rate because your video is only 4 minutes. That is your best option.

[Brad Jenkins] "The blu ray came out all choked up."

Are you playing the Blu-ray disc on a Blu-ray player or is this a preview on your computer?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Brad Jenkins
on Feb 26, 2012 at 4:51:06 pm

on Playstation 3/ blu ray player

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved