FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD .M2TS Clipwrap

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Koza
AVCHD .M2TS Clipwrap
on Feb 25, 2012 at 1:19:21 am

Hi, I have FCP 7, editing on a macbook pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 gig mem, Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and 4 hours of footage in AVCHD m2ts. I bought Clipwrap, have the latest one. My edit is in HDV, and I've been trying to output from Clipwrap in HDV....but it's taking forever!

I'm here wondering if there's a faster way, or is that just how it goes? I left 1.31 hours of footage working over night, and it wasn't done when I woke up. Sounds wrong to me. Any hints, tips and other offers?

Oh, also, I tried just wrapping it, but it won't play in FCP. Audio comes out in time, but footage just jumps sloooow.

Thanks,
Lisa

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVCHD .M2TS Clipwrap
on Feb 25, 2012 at 1:21:35 am

Don't convert to HDV...convert to ProRes. Edit in a ProRes sequence. If you are mixing with HDV footage, HDV in a ProRes sequence will be just fine. Better than in an HDV sequence actually.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Feb 25, 2012 at 1:32:55 am

Hi Shane,

Yes, I am editing in HDV. It was a 4 camera shoot at a concert, 2 cams HDV codecs, and then two other Sony's in AVCHD. I just tried a small sample in ProRes HQ from Clipwrap and it's jumpy still, and, I get that red render line in my HDV Sequence when adding the ProRes, as well as a ProRes Sequence, with HDV....red lining. I prefer to convert to HDV, but I guess you're saying that's why it's taking me so long....because I'm going out to HDV? Ugh, thought this would be simpler. :-)

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Feb 25, 2012 at 1:56:24 am

46 Second AVCHD clip took 8 mins ProRes HQ output from Clipwrap. Same clip HDV output took 13 mins. HDV plays fine though in FCP, not jumpy. I guess I just have to endure the wait?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 25, 2012 at 3:26:59 am

Two other cams are HDV, and you need to master to HDV. Well, seems like there's only one choice then...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 25, 2012 at 2:11:41 am

[Lisa Koza] "I just tried a small sample in ProRes HQ from Clipwrap and it's jumpy still"

ProRes HQ is overkill for your MBP and will slow it to a crawl. Use ProRes or ProRes LT.

Fast hard drives (RAID) also make a difference in playback performance.

I would suggest convert everything to ProRes. HDV is very taxiing on your MBP especially using multicam.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Feb 27, 2012 at 8:59:29 pm

Thank you both for your input. I couldn't stand the super long conversion to HDV in clipwrap, so I did go with ProRes LT. It still took 5 hours for an hour and half of footage, but it was better than 24!

Now I need to re-digitize my other tapes and just edit in ProRes. Hopefully I'll be able to deliver in that as well. thanks :)

Lisa

Return to posts index

Ionescu Georgian
on Oct 29, 2012 at 12:12:55 am

I went with ProRes LT the moment I found out what this .m2ts file extension was all about.
I suggest you always search for what a .m2ts does before you try to do anything with it and then get the appropriate program for your cam. I got my documentation from http://www.dotwhat.net and also the recommended ProRes LT for my cam.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]