FORUMS: list search recent posts

Confused by Telecine/Reverse Pulldown Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Bernstein
Confused by Telecine/Reverse Pulldown Issues
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:03:47 pm

I have a project I'm trying to salvage, and would appreciate help from minds much smarter than my own.

I live captured 10 minutes of footage from my Canon HV20 into a MacBook Pro using a Matrox card and HDMI cable, with ProRes compression. The frame size in FCP 6 shows up as 29.97. I removed pulldown in Compressor and changed the frame rate to 23.976 and then edited and output again to compressor for h.264 compression for my final file, but I see it has significant interlacing artifacts.

Looking at the file that first came out of Compressor, I see that it started out fine, but after a few minutes there are still telecined frames (sorry if I'm not describing this right -- I'm an amateur). I thought maybe Compressor was sloppy so I tried JES Deinterlacer on the original clip, but Inverse Telecine was greyed out. It seems the original mov file was mysteriously captured at 28.62 fps, and JES requires 29 as a minimum.

So I converted the original 28.62 to 29.97 in Compressor leaving it untouched otherwise and then passed it through JES, but that also left telecined frames.

I already edited this piece, and even though it's only 10 minutes, it would be nice not to have to reshoot and reedit. I thought I could somehow get the original clip reverse telecined and then connect the edited footage in FCP to that clip instead of to the one that has issues, but I could use some help. If I'm not explaining things correctly or you have questions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Confused by Telecine/Reverse Pulldown Issues
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:22:17 pm

Sorry, but you can't remove the pulldown after the fact. You have to remove it BEFORE you start editing.

One reason: in your 29.97 edit, you've made numerous cuts on video frames that would not have even existed as 23.98 footage.

A related reason: if you try to export the completed edit and THEN remove the pulldown, those cuts on frames that wouldn't exist represent changes in the 3:2 pulldown cadence. Therefore, the cadence isn't consistent: it keeps changing. And that makes consistent pulldown removal impossible.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Bernstein
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:29:52 pm

Thanks for the response. I was afraid of this. I thought that because I did do pulldown removal first and then edited, and then found out that the pulldown removal wasn't exactly successful, I could do it successfully and then reconnect media to the properly de-telecined clip. But I guess that if the first pulldown removal didn't work, I edited footage with pulldown in it, and so I have to start over. Lesson learned, and I'll make sure I check the JES or Compressor output more closely next time to make sure there are no artifacts of telecining.

Return to posts index

Andy Bernstein
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:40:54 pm

Dave, a quick follow-up question: When I re-edit, is there a way to still use this footage? How can I correctly remove the pulldown this time? JES isn't an option because the clip has a 28.62 frame rate, and Compressor seems to mess up the removal. Do I have to reshoot, or is there something I can do to get the pulldown out of this clip? I tried changing the frame rate and then running it through JES, but that didn't get rid of it. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:51:47 pm

I'd use the search term Reverse Telecine in FCP Help. I don't have to remove pulldown from my footage, so I don't know how to do it off the top of my head.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 24, 2012 at 8:56:49 pm

I just re-read the original post. Did you REALLY try to remove pulldown using Compressor? I think you may have simply changed the frame rate to 23.976 (aka 23.98), leaving the pulldown present in the footage.

I hope you kept the original media files so you can start over.... on duplicates, of course.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andy Bernstein
on Feb 24, 2012 at 9:17:24 pm

Yes, I did try removing the pulldown using Compressor. I basically follow this sequence:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/08/19/simple-workflow-for-removing-23-pull-do...

(Though I use ProRes 422 instead of ProRes 422 HQ)

It usually works fine. But in this case, something about this particular clip and aberrations in the capture have flummoxed things. I still have the original clip with 2:3 interlacing, but no matter what I do, I can't get the pulldown out cleanly. Compressor and JES Deinterlacer both produce clips with interlacing. I think I'm going to have to re-record on Monday to fix this, unless anyone has a better idea.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:03:46 pm

The only reason I can think for either of those not working is that you originally captured a lot of shots as one big, long clip rather than individual shots, which is what they should be.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
on Feb 25, 2012 at 3:24:28 am

I've always reverse telecine using Cinema Tools. Never had any issues.

-------------------------
DK Davis / Editor/ Post Super
-------------------------

Return to posts index

Ana Toader
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:04:18 am

Hello,

Daryl, i see you are using Cinematools, so i hope you can help me.
From 2007 until 2011 we were shooting one documentary movie with Panasonic AG-DVX100, it was used 24p, so now i am trying to reverse telecine, but some of the clips Cinematools looks to process, but at the end my .rev file doesen't exist

Now, i don't understand why, and how can it be?
I was mostly working with PAL materials so far, so in this case i am a bit confused.

i have an iMac, Intel Core i5, 2.7 GHz, 8GB memory, AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Thank you

Ana Toader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]