FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV-ProRes 422 (HQ) capture setting I am unable to capture more than 6 minutes- Then FCP Crashes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Smith
HDV-ProRes 422 (HQ) capture setting I am unable to capture more than 6 minutes- Then FCP Crashes
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:18:19 pm

I have been logging and capturing HDV 1080i 60 from A Sony FX 1000. When using ProRes 422 capture setting, everything works well. When using the HDV-ProRes 422 (HQ) capture setting I am unable to capture more than 6 minutes then FCP crashes. I have a colleague that is having the same exact experience with his FCP7 and iMac.

At first I thought it was a slow drive (I was capturing to the inboard 1TB HD). So I reset FCP to use my SSHD for maximum speed. Same result. FCP crashed after 6 minutes.

After reading Creative Cow boards, Apple support and other forums, I can see that many people have similar problems using a capture setting at HDV- ProRes 422 (HQ). I have not found any resolution on any of the forums.

I am starting a large project and want to ingest all the tapes at ProRes 422 (HQ) for the highest quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Final Cut Studio 7.0
iMac 12,2
3.4 Intel Core I 7; Quad Core; 16GB 1333Mhz DDR3;
Lion 10.7.2 ADM Radeon HD6970M 2048MB
250G SSHD
1TB Internal HD
Multiple External HD

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: HDV-ProRes 422 (HQ) capture setting I am unable to capture more than 6 minutes- Then FCP Crashes
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:55:52 pm

Why HQ? If your original format is HDV and you're capturing at HQ instead of standard ProRes 422 all you're really getting are larger file sizes. The added data rate isn't going to do anything for you.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.com
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: HDV-ProRes 422 (HQ) capture setting I am unable to capture more than 6 minutes- Then FCP Crashes
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:59:45 pm

[Scott Smith] "I am starting a large project and want to ingest all the tapes at ProRes 422 (HQ) for the highest quality."

That's a common fallacy. All you're doing is wasting storage space. You get ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT by capturing in HQ. ProRes 422 is just fine. There is no difference in image quality between the two. You can re-render ProRes 422 six generations deep -- and who does THAT? -- before you see even the slightest change in image quality.

Now, if you shot on a RED, yeah, HQ is good. But you shot HDV.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott E Smith
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:29:17 pm

Thanks Dave. Point taken. So, for future reference when ingesting uncompressed HD with ProRes 422 (HQ), I'm still looking for the reason I am unable to capture in ProRes 422 (HQ). If I'm unable to do it (even if I'm wasting storage space) with video that really doesn't require 422 (HQ) then I've got a ticking time bomb that I'll need to resolve before i need to ingest uncompressed HD. Any thoughts? I still have the same problem.

Final Cut Studio 7.0
iMac 12,2
3.4 Intel Core I 7; Quad Copre; 16GB 1333Mhz DDR3;
250G SS drive
1TB Internal HD
Multiple External HD

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:57:34 pm

Mind you, this is just a guess: I know you captured to an SSHD, but how is it connected? You need FW 800 at the very least.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott E Smith
on Feb 24, 2012 at 6:00:37 pm

The SSHD is internal as well as the 1TB HD.

Final Cut Studio 7.0
iMac 12,2
250G SS drive
1TB Internal HD
Multiple External HD

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:35:57 pm

I didnt even read the whole thread...I'm on my phone...but I can tell you that, even with a GRAID, my octociore Mac Pro would do the same thing back when I first got started and thought I needed HQ. It's a very demanding codec. I figure it just choked my machine. Either way, you don't need HQ with HDV. Regular ProRes is just fine. And you shouldn't have that trouble. I do a lot of things where the captures are very long and never have trouble now.

Return to posts index

Scott E Smith
on Feb 25, 2012 at 2:54:55 am

Thanks Tony. I too have no issues when using PR422.
I'm still looking for the reason I am unable to capture in ProRes 422 (HQ). If I'm unable to do it (even if I'm wasting storage space) with video that really doesn't require 422 (HQ) then I've got a ticking time bomb that I'll need to resolve before i need to ingest uncompressed HD. Any thoughts? I still have the same problem.

Final Cut Studio 7.0
iMac 12,2
250G SS drive
1TB Internal HD
Multiple External HD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]