FORUMS: list search recent posts

Customized fps via XML

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Heimbegner
Customized fps via XML
on Feb 24, 2012 at 1:50:55 pm

Hey everyone.
I have a question regarding an export test I have to do for a client.
At first it seemed like a simple test, but the client is asking for certain things that Final Cut cannot do.

The client has handed me an 87 GB .mov file that they want cropped (scale and stretched), a lower frame rate of 12 fps (originally 60 fps), rendered at H264, and constricted to 64kbps.

I’ve narrowed my strategy to two processes. One that works, but takes a long time, and another that is quick, but looks really bad.

Is there anyone who can review my quick process to help me fix the low render quality (artifacting) I am experiencing?

Quick Process:
-Save File over to Media RAID (87GB file – 38 Minutes over USB – 12 Minutes over Firewire 1600)

-Import video file to a new Final Cut project

-Scale video up to eliminate black border, stretch to fit.

-Export an XML document
-Make a copy of original XML document
-Open XML Document in TextEdit.
-Change TimeBase from 60 to 12
-Save XML in TextEdit

-Import new XML into FCP (check sequence settings of newly imported sequence to verify fps change)

-Export at H264 (1.5 Hours)
-Millions of Colors
-Best Quality
-AAC Audio
-64 kbps

Total Time = 2 hours
Original File Size = 87.44 GB
New File Size = 256.5 MB
New file is extremely low quality.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Customized fps via XML
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:18:17 pm

Don't use FCP for this. Do this in either Motion or After Effects for best results. Compressor can also create the new file.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zack Heimbegner
on Feb 24, 2012 at 6:35:24 pm

The longer process is the process through which I export an uncompressed file out of Final Cut, and place the uncompressed file into Compressor.

It seems to be working, but I'm now faced with the length of the exported file being twice as long (4 hours) as the originally exported file (2 hours).

The longer video's content ends at the 2 hour mark, and the remaining 2 hours is blank.

[IMG]http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/Zaxpersonawe/Signature_Card.jpg[/I...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 24, 2012 at 6:46:47 pm

To reiterate, this footage should not go anywhere near FCP. FCP deals with standardized frame rates and video resolutions. Your deliverable has neither.

Do not use FCP. It's not the proper tool for the job. Use a different application. Kapiche?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:18:33 am

I agree with Dave, you can do this all in Compressor (the crop, scale and frame rate changes). Use "nearest frame" for the motion rendering setting, since 12 divides into 60 evenly; you don't need to do any fancy interpolating. But 64 kbps is a VERY low data rate, so you'll need to shrink your export dimensions until an acceptable quality level is reached. Use two pass encoding to get the best possible quality, and play with the keyframe settings (although I usually get the best results with "auto keyframes."

I recommend setting an "in and out" in the preview window, and running some tests on a short section of your video until you are happy with the settings. Then remove the in and out markers and export the whole thing.

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Zack Heimbegner
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:14:54 pm

Thank you for the advice guys.
I would have much rather used After Effects for everything, but I was restricted to Final Cut.

I went ahead and utilized Final Cut as my scaler/Skewer, but used Compressor as my data converter.

-Save File over to Media RAID (87GB file – 40 Minutes over USB – 12 Minutes over Firewire 1600)

-Import file into Final Cut Pro
-Scale video up to eliminate black border, stretch to fit by adjusting Aspect Ratio

-Export to Quicktime using Export>Quicktime Movie (25 Minutes)
-Set video to Current Settings
-Millions of Colors (Not a present option)

-Open exported file into Compressor (45 Minutes at 64kbps. 2 Hours at 300 kpbs)
-Add Quicktime H.264 Setting to Compressor
(Apple>Formats>Quicktime>Quicktime H.264)
-Set audio to AAC
-Convert to 12fps (Final Cut cannot convert to 12fps)
-Keyframe every 24 frames (larger # if the length of the video is longer)
-64 kbps (restricts quality to High as the highest)
-Best Quality (can only go to High Quality when restricted to 64kbps)

Copy over back to Hard Drive (2-5 Minutes)

Total Time = 2 hours
New file is appropriate length and Aspect Ratio
New file is low quality with 64 kbps.
-File quality is much better with 128 kbps.

Thanks again for all of your help guys.

[IMG]http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/Zaxpersonawe/Signature_Card.jpg[/I...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]