FORUMS: list search recent posts

video playback on second monitor is choppy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mandy brown
video playback on second monitor is choppy
on Feb 24, 2012 at 2:03:57 am

Hi,

I'm editing on a macbook pro and attempting to preview my video on a second monitor but the playback is very choppy. If I playback to my desktop, it's fine. I'm editing in Apple ProRes (HQ) and have tried lowering the playback settings such as video quality, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm connecting via a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter. Running FCP 7.0.3 on OS X 10.6.8. 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8 GB memory.. Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks so much for any help!

Mandy

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: video playback on second monitor is choppy
on Feb 24, 2012 at 2:07:36 pm

What are you using for a scratch disk? If it's not really fast you'll see this problem.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 24, 2012 at 2:09:48 pm

ProRes HQ is most likely overkill and overtaxing the system. But if it plays back smooth on the main laptop screen, then your second computer monitor connection is not as powerful, or is larger than the MB screen.

Solution: get a proper monitoring and capture device from blackmagic, matrox, or Aja. What you're using is just a second computer monitor which isn't the correct gamma/color, and will have the judder you're experiencing.

Return to posts index

luke christopher
on Mar 30, 2012 at 11:38:21 am

Hey, I have a similar issue. What Blackmagic product is best for this, the Intensity or HD Link, I don't need it so much for monitoring, but for smooth playback.

thanks

Return to posts index

Blake Anderson
on Jan 16, 2013 at 8:05:55 pm

[Bret Williams] "Solution: get a proper monitoring and capture device from blackmagic, matrox, or Aja. What you're using is just a second computer monitor which isn't the correct gamma/color, and will have the judder you're experiencing.
"

I have a 15 inch early 2008 Macbook pro that I run FCP 7 off of. My maximum resolution on my MBP is 1440x900 and I'd like to edit using my HDTV as a secondary preview monitor (It's a 1080p 47in tv. I know, it's way to big to edit on).

Is there another option other than spending $250+ on a capture card so that I don't get the lagging that occurs because of my secondary monitor being a larger resolution than my main screen? I've tried dropping the resolution of the TV to 720p, but that seems like a waste.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]