FORUMS: list search recent posts

A little more life from PPC G5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Piazzo
A little more life from PPC G5
on Feb 23, 2012 at 11:25:37 pm

Besides the obvious - buy some new Imacs!! - any suggestions on squeezing a little more life out of a lab of non-intel G5s with Final Cut Express 4.

We have a lab for students, which has been fine using DV for years.
With all the new consumer grade HD cameras, the bottle neck is now log and transfer, which won't run on PPC. The kids have been "capturing" in another lab with intel machines, and then bringing the files over - but time is a problem?

Any PPC native apps that can work like log and transfer?
Consumer Grade cameras that record in native .mov (under $500)?
Premiere? Avid?

again, please be kind - I am only the messenger

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: A little more life from PPC G5
on Feb 23, 2012 at 11:44:04 pm

[Joe Piazzo] "Any PPC native apps that can work like log and transfer?"

ClipWrap2 will convert AVCHD to ProRes...oh, Final Cut Express. Hmm...It also does Apple Intermedia Codec, which I think FCE supports. They have a demo. Mind you, because it is PowerPC, it will take A LONG TIME.

[Joe Piazzo] "Consumer Grade cameras that record in native .mov (under $500)?"

Quicktime movies that will NOT need to be transcoded before editing with FCE...under $500? No. Avid? Yes, but the new Avid requires Intel Macs running Lion. Older Avid versions that run on G5s won't recognize the format, and will transcode. And take a long time. Premiere Pro? Not sure the new one runs on PowerPCs. It works with all formats natively...but only if you have the hardware to allow it to do so. G5's won't work.

Sorry, if you want to remain current and work with current camera tech, you might need to get new machines. But, try ClipWrap2 for AVCHD...oh, it also converts to DNxHD QTs, for Avid. Unsure of the speed on a G5.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 24, 2012 at 12:52:18 am

OK...Just spoke to a friend who also has a G5. A G5...a PPC Mac, cannot convert AVCHD to ProRes. That requires an Intel Mac. Even with ClipWrap. Just too much for the processors. So either you need to get new machines, or the students need to go to Intel Macs to do the converting, and then use the G5s to edit.

My friend used his MacBook to convert, and then the G5 to edit.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Piazzo
on Feb 25, 2012 at 7:31:53 pm

Thank you all. Not my purchase decision, but it will be my recommendation. 20 new computers are always a hard sell...
"we just bought new ones 5 years ago!"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 25, 2012 at 7:40:38 pm

[Joe Piazzo] "Not my purchase decision, but it will be my recommendation. 20 new computers are always a hard sell...
"we just bought new ones 5 years ago!""

Apple has pretty great pricing for academic software and hardware.

Furthermore, teaching a new generation of filmmakers to do things the old way or the wrong way is not doing them any good, and I think that's what using antiquated computers really forces you to do.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Feb 24, 2012 at 1:48:16 pm

[Shane Ross] "Premiere Pro? Not sure the new one runs on PowerPCs"

Premiere Pro CS5.5 and most recent versions run on Intel Macs only.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]