FORUMS: list search recent posts

Yet another multiclip FCP 7 question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Levy
Yet another multiclip FCP 7 question
on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:52:40 am

I have a music documentary project that involves editing a 5 camera shoot of a 30min piece as one element.
3 cameras are 24P XDCAM EX original that I can convert to Pro Res, and 2 cameras were HDV that have been successfully converted to 24P Pro Res 422

I'd like to edit this in a 5 camera multiclip but have read horror stories on the web (on the cow actually) about multiclip slowing down on a low power system. I've also read that the problem might be mostly hard drive speed and look up time instead of the processor.
I can't change my processor or RAM but given my gear:

A 2008 15" Macbook Pro Intel Core Duo 2.4 MHz / 4G Ram w an external 24" Dell and a Matrox MXO running on OS10.6.8 and FCP 7.0.3. I use a dual Sata > expresscard adapter for a bunch of SATA drives and have a dual hot swap enclosure that can be raided as well as some Quad drives that can use the 800 and 400 Firewire inputs. (Only use the Matrox usually for color correction)

Would it help to :
- Create a Raid 0 with 2 SATA drives in my dual hot swap enclosure- or even buy a 4 unit Sata hot swap if that would make it much faster? ( don't want to spend money though)
- Or would it help to just spread the cameras on different drives and make some Sata and some Firewire?
- And/Or would it help to make the files smaller and use Pro Res LT or Proxy for off line, even Offline RT?

These issues are entirely new to me . Can I make it work?

It would be nice to get an idea where the slow-downs will come from i.e, processor, hard drive speed, file size, etc

BTW - I've gotten no answers at all on DVXUser or DVInfo .net as well as other places.

Thanks

Lenny Levy

Return to posts index

Kiya Paris
Re: Yet another multiclip FCP 7 question
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:21:42 am

well i have similar issue although going with setting up a raid is not an option for me. From my research definitely using Prores LT or Proxy will help extremely. Especially if its ONLY 5 cams you cutting with. Just do the offline, lock edit and reconnect to online and you should be fine.

My issue is i have about 11 tracks to cut in multicam and using Proxy codec still isnt enough without slow down process happening ;-(.

" You can always get back what was lost except time wasted, so what are you waiting for"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]