FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deinterlacing AVCHD footage in FCP 7 or Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tynan Couture-Rashid
Deinterlacing AVCHD footage in FCP 7 or Compressor
on Feb 21, 2012 at 11:52:55 pm

I have a AVCHD Sony MC50U camera which can record in 1080 60i HD. I have been having many problems with this footage (converting to ProRes etc.) but I have managed to solve most of these issues, except for one, de-interlacing. The footage, instead of having lines, has a ghosting effect in which two frames are blended. This is extremely annoying especially when there is a fast pan. I looked all over the internet but have been unable to find a solution to this problem. In compressor i have tried to set the settings to a 1080 30p output with progressive selected but this did not help. I am actually quite inexperienced with compressor so any help would be appreciated. I have even tried the de-interlace filter on FCP 7 and this did not help. Oddly enough VLC's "linear" de-interlace mode was actually able to eliminate the ghosting, albeit at a small loss of quality, but since VLC only plays back video I am unable to use this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Deinterlacing AVCHD footage in FCP 7 or Compressor
on Feb 22, 2012 at 12:11:58 am

If you are deinterlacing to solve a field order problem, you are throwing away resolution. You should first try to fix the issue

What is the field dominance on your footage and the sequence. Everything should be upper field with 60i in HD. The problem may have been with settings on the ProRes conversion.

Return to posts index

Tynan Couture-Rashid
on Feb 22, 2012 at 12:58:28 am

I am pretty sure that it is upper field dominant. I'm converting the files with Toast 11 Titanium and I have tried converting the files with every deinterlacing option both selected and deselected, with no change to the final product. There is one option that is under the compressor heading when selecting output video settings in Toast, which has a check box next to "Interlace". I have tried selecting that and setting "Top field first" and then putting the final file in compressor but that didn't work either.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 22, 2012 at 1:09:47 am

Not familiar with that camera or Toast for file conversion.

this tutorial shows the best workflow for tapeless formats including AVCHD

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

I recommend watching and trying Shane's methodology. Hopefully it will solve the field order issues as well.

Return to posts index

Tynan Couture-Rashid
on Feb 22, 2012 at 2:05:13 am

Ok, thanks for your help! I'll try it out. If anyone else has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:31:51 am

Give us a screen shot. Sounds like regular old interlacing to me. You should work interlaced and output interlaced for the highest quality. If you're going to the web with a version, then you deinterlace the final interlaced master. I wouldn't lower the quality of your footage before you edit.

Return to posts index

Tynan Couture-Rashid
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:53:16 am

I don't have a major project right now but I did just get this camera and just want to find a way to be able to get the footage i need. THe main problem is just that no matter what I try it just won't deinterlace. Here's a (slightly cropped) frame from a fast pan:

You can see the ghosting. i wouldn't be annoyed about this except for the fact that it makes it difficult to watch during fast action. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 22, 2012 at 2:45:24 pm

If you're shooting at 60i, then it is normal to have interlaced footage-by definition. How are you monitoring the output from your computer? You should be looking on it on a broadcast monitor and not just the computer screen. If the field order is correct, it should look OK on the monitor. Also as us old film shooters know, avoid fast pans. :)

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Tynan Couture-Rashid
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:09:19 am

Ok I will display this through a different monitor when I can. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]