FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Setting to Burn DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Longfield
Best Setting to Burn DVD
on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:25:28 pm

Hi,

I have FCP Studio 3, with FCP 7 and DVD SP 4 and Compressor 3.5. I shoot in XDCAM EX 1080 60i.
However I edit the XDCAM EX footage in an SD wide screen timeline. If I Export to QT Movie with current settings and use that .mov file to import into DVD SP4, I get some artifacting on the DVD burn to the point where I can't give that to clients.

I did try Share > DVD , which made an MPEG-2 which i imported to DVD SP4 and it looked considerably better.

I have tried Share > Send to Compressor previously and burned DVD in Compressor, but did not notice
much quality difference than the EXPORT > QT Movie method. Also if I tried to take the file made by Compressor and bring it into DVD SP 4; only the video would enter DVD SP 4, not the audio, (the audio did not automatically follow). If I tried bringing in the audio separately the sync was off in the final product.

So I'm a bit perplexed. As of right now the best method I've been able to find is FCP Timeline > Share w/DVD setting > DVD SP4.

I'm about to try Apple Pro Res 422. ( Share > Apple Pro Res 422) & Export > Settings: Apple PrRes 422 NTSC 48khz [Anamorphic] ).

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best Setting to Burn DVD
on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:38:53 pm

[Dean Longfield] "I shoot in XDCAM EX 1080 60i.
However I edit the XDCAM EX footage in an SD wide screen timeline."

I can think of no good reason to do so.

Edit your footage in a Prores 422 2080i timeline, export a self-contained quicktime, open the file in Compressor and use the presets to make the mpeg2 and ac3 files for DVD authoring; don't forget to author as 16x9. Your DVD ought to look great.

Okay, as great as highly-compressed SD video can look compared to pretty-highly-compressed HD video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:42:30 pm

Thanks Dave. I'll run some tests using that method.

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:39:30 pm

I just tried, from an SD - FCP timeline : Share > Apple Pro Res - which made a Apple ProRes 422.mov, which I brought into DDVD SP 4 and the burn came out looking like QT Movie burn (too many artifacts/pixelization).

Traditionaly I had always burned DVD's using an MPEG-2 source file and it seems that that is still the way to go, and from FCP 7 it appears that using Share > DVD are the settings that will accomplish the MPEG-2 source file.

If there is a way to obtain BETTER quality than what I've described above, please let me know.

Thanks !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:42:34 pm

Please read what I wrote again, and this time please read it with an eye toward comprehension.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 21, 2012 at 8:44:07 pm

Well, you had a small typo in that first post..."Edit your footage in a Prores 422 2080i timeline"

It should be: Edit your footage in a ProRes 422 1080i timeline. FULL HD quality timeline. THEN export for DVD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:26:34 pm

Hi Dave,

i sent my second post as a follow up to my first post NOT as a response to your answer/suggestion..
Apparently I was writing my follow-up and you were writing your suggestion at about the same time,
....anyway, I did subsequently read your post and appreciate the suggestion.

Any confusion there of is more to do with the nature internet communication and timing than anything else, (not comprehension or a lack there of).

Have a nice day.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:28:28 pm

I hope you get a good-looking DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved