FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best External Drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Smith
Best External Drive?
on Feb 21, 2012 at 8:24:32 am

I'm working on a 2010, 17 inch MacBook Pro, Lion OS, 8GB RAM, I7 dual core.

Looking for the best external hard drive workhorse for FCPX.

Seagate 3TB GoFlex for Mac & G Drive 3TB both have 7200 RPM. But now I'm hearing about chipsets? Oxford 911 chips? I may need a few drives and the Seagates are much less pricey. I know G Drives are great but do I need to go the pricier root? Will the Seagates be just as good?

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Best External Drive?
on Feb 21, 2012 at 10:51:54 pm

Don't use USB2 as it struggles too much/isn't really fast enough for high quality video. IIRC that MBP gives you firewire and an expresscard slot - firewire is ok, but I usually use an esata adapter in the expresscard slot and I can tell the difference between that and the firewire.

As you'd be paying more for a firewire (or USB3) version of the GoFlex over the USB2 version, the price difference between that and the G Drive isn't all that much. I have good experince with G Drives, so I'd personally go for that and regard the extra cost as money well spent.

Return to posts index

Jason Smith
on Feb 21, 2012 at 11:23:58 pm

Yes, sorry I meant to say that I was looking at the firewire 800 Seagate & G Drives. Both 7200 rpm & 3 TB. There's actually a $150 price difference and might need a few so I'm hoping to save a few $.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:12:21 am

[Jason Smith] "I'm hoping to save a few $"

This is not a great time to find bargains on hard drive prices. Prices are not expected to drop for at least a year. With that note, do not skimp on hard drives. You WILL get what you pay for. Stick with G-Tech or check out the external drives from Other World Computing. Get an enclosure with eSATA and FW800. Speed is everything when editing.

This is the best price I've seen on a 3 TB drive in awhile.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1310...

You can get this drive and the Voyager Q for a great external combo.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/FWU3ES2HDK/

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Feb 22, 2012 at 2:10:35 pm

Hi
i have a 500gb graid that i have been using since 2004...cant really see beyond that! I like Iomega ultramax too but i have had 2/3 die in that time although they are replaced for free.
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]