FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO 1080p30 vs H.264 24p Sequence Settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aria Moazzen
DVCPRO 1080p30 vs H.264 24p Sequence Settings
on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:04:07 am

Hello all,

I was recently given a project to work on that has two separate formats. They shot 90% of their film using the Panasonic HVX camera with P2 cards and the other 10% with the 5D Mark ii. However, when I received the drive, none of the P2 metadata/CONTENTS were available. All of that footage, as given to me, are now quicktime files as DVCPRO HD 1080p30 and the H.264 24p formats.

I have heard no response whether if the original P2 card folders have been saved.

My question is, what is the best solution for setting my sequence without having to transcode all of my footage?

Thanks!


Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: DVCPRO 1080p30 vs H.264 24p Sequence Settings
on Feb 21, 2012 at 3:45:28 pm

You are going to have to convert some of the footage. All of the H.264 files from the 5D need to be converted to ProRes. FCP does not edit h.264 well. Then use a ProRes sequence and drop the DVCPRO HD footage into that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def


Return to posts index

Aria Moazzen
Re: DVCPRO 1080p30 vs H.264 24p Sequence Settings
on Feb 21, 2012 at 8:43:15 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the response! I knew I would have to transcode the 5D footage, no doubt. But I thought FCP would have trouble editing the DVCPRO HD footage.

After doing what you said, FCP automatically drops frames from the DVCPRO clips. I'm pretty much all set at this point.

One last question. Since the sequence settings have been set to apple pro res, all the 5D clips are gray in the timeline scroll bar and the DVCPRO clips are all green in the timeline scroll bar. You know when you need to render when you see a red bar in the timeline scroll bar above the clips, right? Well, I have green and grey. This is OKAY to have between the 5D and DVCPRO clips yes? I want to make sure I don't have to edit an hour documentary and be stuck with something bad in the end.


Return to posts index


Shane Ross
Re: DVCPRO 1080p30 vs H.264 24p Sequence Settings
on Feb 21, 2012 at 8:47:05 pm

[Aria Moazzen] "But I thought FCP would have trouble editing the DVCPRO HD footage. "

LORD no. DVCPRO HD is one of the easiest formats to edit with. Very low data rate, I-Frame (not GOP), 4:2:2...VERY well suited for editing.

And yes, when you drop a clip with a certain format into a sequence with a different format you will get a render bar. Always. This is normal. ProRes is a better setting to edit with...DVCPRO HD will stretch to fit (as in no longer be anamorphic but stretch to full raster ProRes)...and when you render, it will be fine. Heck, it's fine to just play and edit with it as is.

You are good.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def


Return to posts index

Aria Moazzen
Re: DVCPRO 1080p30 vs H.264 24p Sequence Settings
on Feb 21, 2012 at 8:56:05 pm

Shane,

you are awesome. Thank you my friend!

Cheers.

~Aria


Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: DVCPRO 1080p30 vs H.264 24p Sequence Settings
on Feb 21, 2012 at 3:47:32 pm

You are going to have to convert some of the footage. All of the H.264 files from the 5D need to be converted to ProRes. FCP does not edit h.264 well. Then use a ProRes sequence and drop the DVCPRO HD footage into that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]