FORUMS: list search recent posts

What storage solution do I need for multiple editors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Field
What storage solution do I need for multiple editors
on Feb 19, 2012 at 2:56:23 pm

Hello,

I've been using external HD's for the past year and now have a whole desk full of them. Considering it's around £350 for a 4Tb drive, and I always buy a second for backup, I was thinking there has to be a better solution. Along with this I'm also going to be bringing on a second editor, so is there a fairly cheap media server solution I should be looking at?

My ideal scenario would be to have around 20Tb capacity and have both editors working from this same storage solution. I've looked at this...

http://www.ebuyer.com/288172-qnap-ts-419p-ii-12tb-4-bay-nas-solution-ts-419...

...but wasn't sure if there was something better with more capacity and not going to cost me the earth. Also would two editors be able to run FCP 7 over ethernet this way?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

Return to posts index

Drew Delany
Re: What storage solution do I need for multiple editors
on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:10:30 am

Hi Jamie,

The easiest bit to answer is your Final Cut program question. If you have two different licences for FCP7 then you can run both at the same time. If you're trying to use the same licence it quits on start up same as if you try and do it over a network (I've tried the same thing).

As for NAS drives, the company I work for is looking to do the same thing so i've been doing a lot of research. That drive you're looking at is a good option but the other one I would recommend taking a look at is DROBO. Don't pay too much attention to the bad reviews as most of them were posted before 2009 and they've really sorted out the stability and customer service issues. The main advantage that I can see is that you can mix and match your hard drive sizes to keep it as flexible as you want (for example in a 4 bay you could have 3x3TB and 1x1TB drive). I know a lot of the larger post houses that use FCP use the server version but the 4 and 5 bay versions are supposed to run really well across ethernet. I will admit that I haven't tested this personally so it's only word of mouth at the moment.

But to a certain extent it's up to personal preference. A lot of my engineering friends tell me I should build my own as it will be cheaper but I don't know about you: my server/computer building skills are a little bit behind!
If you make a decision, let me know how it goes! I'd be interested to hear :)

Good luck,
Drew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]