FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codec Issue Emergency

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Morrow
Codec Issue Emergency
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:12:19 pm

I edited in Pal, I do not know how and burned a DVD of a 2 hour event. It jitters just enough to be distracting. I need to correct this sequence and am at my wits end. Please note a screen shot of the sequence setting and PLEASE let me know how to correct this. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
Re: Codec Issue Emergency
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:15:54 pm

For those who cannot read the screen it says:
Frame Size: 1440 x 1080 HD
Aspect Ratio: HD (1440x1080)
Field Dominance: Upper (Odd)
Editing Timebase: 25
Quicktime Settings: DVCPRO HD 1080i50
Audio: 48khz

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:44:17 pm

Are you burning a PAL DVD?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 17, 2012 at 11:19:46 pm

No problem with the sequence settings but what is the camera codec? How are you making the DVD?

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:38:24 pm

I just want to make a standard NTSC DVD. THANKS!!!

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:39:33 pm

I used two cameras one DSLR and the other a JVC-100 shooting 1080i

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:38:03 pm

No NTSC, I do not know how I even went tp PAL!

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:41:18 pm

Should I change the sequence to NTSC and render or send it to compressor to render in NTSC. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 19, 2012 at 9:49:02 pm

You have a real problem. You shot PAL, but need NTSC. You cannot simply convert by using an NTSC sequence. 30fps vs 25fps is a complex conversion. Typically one needs to go to a post facility with an expensive piece of equipment called a TERRANEX, and you'd need to route the signal through that to convert it.

You MIGHT be able to get decent results with Compressor. You need to export a QT movie first, self contained. Then take that into Compressor and choose a ProRes setting, like ProRes for Progressive. Then, in the INSPECTOR, in the ENCODER section, change the video frame rate from 25fps to 29.97fps. Then in the FRAME CONTROLS area of the inspector, turn on frame controls, then set everything to best, except RATE CONVERSION...leave that on FAST and Nearest Frame. What this will do is make the footage 30fps interlaced, so it shouldn't stutter so much.

I know this works with 24fps to 30 fps. I haven't needed to go 25fps to 30fps...that one extra frame might mess things up.

Or...author a PAL DVD. Most DVD players play PAL DVDs. No, it won't be as smooth as 30fps is But it will be the frame rate you shot.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 12:21:10 am

Thanks for the help, it is processing right now. How do you think I got tp Pal land in the first place? I started my sequence with Canon DSLR footage from a NTSC shoot, any ideas? If the encode does not work what is my next step? Thanks so much for your kind help. God bless!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:26:17 am

Is your footage PAL? Look at a clip in the Browser...scroll to the right until you see the RATE. is it 29.97? 23.98? 25? Is the footage 1080i50...or 1080i60?

If your footage is NTSC, and you edited into a PAL sequence...then you basically need to copy and paste the clips...IF THEY ARE INDEED NTSC and NOT PAL...and paste them into an NTSC sequence. And then fix the edit..manually. Take out all the small gaps and hiccups.

If you drop a clip into a timeline, and you see a render bar...any sort of render bar, then something is wrong. That is the first clue that something isn't right...and you need to not continue until you fix it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:57:56 am

You know I remember having to fix gaps in my sequence at some point, it was weird. I will try what you said and thanks again!
Patrick Morrow

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:24:08 am

Hi Shane,
The videos are indeed NTSC 29.97. I cut and pasted them into a new sequence and they are green and playable. The problem is that they are not 16x9 but 4x3. If I change anything in the sequence to possibly fix this, it becomes un-rendered. How can I get this sequence back to filling a 16x9 screen again. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME ON THIS!

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:28:53 am

Hi Shane,
The videos are indeed NTSC 29.97. I cut and pasted them into a new sequence and they are green and playable. The problem is that they are not 16x9 but 4x3. If I change anything in the sequence to possibly fix thgis it becomes un-rendered. How can I get this sequence back to filling a 16x9 screen again. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME ON THIS! By the way the DSLR footage scattered throughout is red in the render area, all other footage (most of it) is indeed green.

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:31:19 am

Hi Shane,
The videos are indeed NTSC 29.97. I cut and pasted them into a new sequence and they are green and playable. The problem is that they are not 16x9 but 4x3. If I change anything in the sequence to possibly fix thgis it becomes un-rendered. How can I get this sequence back to filling a 16x9 screen again. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME ON THIS! Oh audio is off when I cut and paste. OH NO

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:44:53 am

Highlight all the clips in the sequence and right-click and choose REMOVE ATTRIBUTES. Check BASIC MOTION and DISTORT.

And yes, things will be off. There will be a lot of fixing that needs to happen.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 5:19:57 pm

Hi Shane,
Me again, you have helped me so much, the sequence is looking awesome! The only thing left is cleaning up the audio and also the frame looks 16x9 but squished. How do I get it back to the original clip size? Can I cut and paste attributes from an original clip to the entire sequence? Thanks so much and have a great day!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 21, 2012 at 5:25:22 pm

[Patrick Morrow] "Can I cut and paste attributes from an original clip to the entire sequence? "

Yup!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:22:56 pm

Thanks Shane, I have a great looking sequence, the only issue is it is squished down a little in 16x9. How can I get it to be the size to fit a 16x9 screen. I promise this is the last question. THANKS!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:34:44 pm

Play with the DISTORT numbers.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Patrick Morrow
on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:36:09 pm

Thanks Shane all is good, God Bless you for walking me through this nightmare! All the best.
Patrick Morrow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]