FORUMS: list search recent posts

HyperDeck Shuttle/DNxHD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Schneider
HyperDeck Shuttle/DNxHD
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:55:29 pm

I'm interested in getting a HyperDeck Shuttle for use with a Sony EX1, and have heard conflicting stories on whether it's DNxHD codec can be used in FCP7. Can someone here thats actually using DNxHD with FCP give me a definitive answer to this? I greatly appreciate it! And if anyone has used the HyperDeck shuttle, any feedback would be great!
Thanks Lee

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: HyperDeck Shuttle/DNxHD
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:20:27 pm

Hi Lee,
DNxHD Is not a codec natively supported by FC.
As its happens with those codecs, I guess you won't have any RT option in FC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:31:27 pm

Can you edit it? Yes...if you install the Avid codecs from Avid.com. It is as smooth as editing with ProRes or other FCP codec? No.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:34:08 pm

I just saw on the BMagic forum (looked there after posting this) that there is 2.5 beta software update available where the HyperDecks will write the DNxHD codec in a QTime wrapper. It said you will be able to import that into most all QuickTime programs. Looks like this may be the ticket.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:38:54 pm

Like Shane and Rafael said, yes you'll be able to edit it in FCP, but no it won't be a pleasant experience as DNxHD is not a 'blessed' codec therefore anytime you do something like add a dissolve, apply the 3-way CC filter or adjust the opacity of a clip you'll get a red render bar.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:20:37 pm

Hi Andrew and all,

I use SxS cards with my EX1. I am considering the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 and a few SSDs as a way to record longer times in 1080p 30fps until my BlackMagicCamera 4K arrives so I can use the SSDs in it.
I still haven't figured out if I can record compressed 1080p ProRes to the Shuttle 2 (for longer recording times).

"Like Shane and Rafael said, yes you'll be able to edit it in FCP, but no it won't be a pleasant experience as DNxHD is not a 'blessed' codec therefore anytime you do something like add a dissolve, apply the 3-way CC filter or adjust the opacity of a clip you'll get a red render bar."

Is this still the same in July 2013 or can the Shuttle 2's DNxHD in a Quicktime wrap now be edited in FCP 7 without having to render each edit?

Thanks!

Alex Vargas
filmmaker/composer
Macpro 5,1 12 core 48GB RAM - Macbookpro 15" - FCP 7+/Logic 9

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:25:34 pm

[Alex Vargas] "Is this still the same in July 2013"

Nothing has changed. FCP 7 is EOL...end of line. No longer updated. It came out 4 years ago, and was EOL'd two years ago. It was EOL when this original post was made.

So...zero change.

And you CAN edit DNxHD in FCP 7 without rendering. You can make sequence settings for it. But none of the effects will be real time, no filters, and you might not be able to monitor externally (I admit I haven't tried that).

But Avid will, of course, edit this format. And Adobe Premiere Pro has DNxHD settings...so it might be time to look at alternative editing options.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]