FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D recapture to ProResHQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Diamond
Canon 7D recapture to ProResHQ
on Feb 17, 2012 at 1:37:20 am

I have a 30 minute doc, shot on a 7D, transcoded to ProResProxy and now it's ready for the colorist who wants it in HQ. I have the 18 original 32GB 7D card images saved. FCP is able to recognize and mount them in log and transfer. Phew.

Problem 1: If I try to mount more than one card at a time it crashes FCP.
Problem 2: It's capturing the entire clips. Is it possible to just capture the sections of the clips I'm using (plus handles)?

FCP 7.03
OS 10.6.8

Thanks!
Gabriel

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Canon 7D recapture to ProResHQ
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:33:57 am

And Just why would he want this? There's no more color information in HQ than there is in LT.. it's all 4:2:2 10 bit color... If you're material doesn't have a bunch of fast movement in it. I'd tell your colorist to work with the LT footage. It is broadcast quality. It has a lower data rate than HQ, but rarely looks a lot differently in the end as long as it doesn't have a lot of fast movement in the shots themselves.. ala sports footage maybe...

That said, what was the original footage format, and how did you import the footage into FCP? Via the log and transfer window? Or did you transcode to ProRes another way first? If so how? Do the clip names and reel numbers match the card numbers and clip names on your disk images?

Don't know why mounting more than one crashes FCP. I don't think it should actually.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Diamond
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:07:22 am

Everything is captured in ProRes Proxy, not LT. So it must be recaptured, may as well do HQ.
The original format is off the Canon 7D, 1080 24p mostly, some 720 60p. It was transcoded via the FCP log and transfer window. All clip names match the names on the original cards.
At this point I am recapturing one card at a time.
Thanks,
Gabriel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:21:58 am

Want just what is in the cut? Use the MEDIA MANAGER on the cut to MAKE OFFLINE...choose the codec you want...and choose handles. Then batch capture.

Might still have to do it one card at a time.

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:14:56 pm

This may not help, but I got this tip from Walter Biscardi:

Turn off the "remove duplicate frames and advanced pulldown" option in the L&T preferences. Since I did this, my EOS plugin transfers are much more reliable.

Might also try stripping away all the audio tracks to make a "video only" sequence before you recapture. I've found this has made the process smoother for me in the past. Might not cure the crashing though...

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]