FORUMS: list search recent posts

16:9 exporting as 4:3 in QT Conversion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Nahroniak
16:9 exporting as 4:3 in QT Conversion
on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:52:42 pm

I can not figure out for the life of me why this is happening. When exporting my 16:9 sequence, QT Conversion exports it as 4:3 aspect ratio. Here are screen grabs of my sequence settings and clip setting.

Please help.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: 16:9 exporting as 4:3 in QT Conversion
on Feb 17, 2012 at 12:01:09 am

Export Quicktime Movie keeps the same settings/dimensions/codec of your sequence.

Export Quicktime Conversion changes it to whatever is set in your export setting. Most likely, you have an export preset set for 4:3.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2012 at 12:06:19 am

If your footage is DVCProHD, why are you exporting in ProRes HQ? It's unnecessary.

Anyway, I'd bet you're looking at the exported file in QT, and in square pixels 960x 720 IS 4x3; do the arithmetic. But that particular resolution also carries with it a NON-square pixel aspect of 1.33, and just about every editing application will display it properly.

So where is the file going next? Who gets it? What's it for? Such questions determine how you should proceed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen Nahroniak
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:02:50 pm

I've attached some screen shots of my export settings. The dimensions are compressor native- 610x343. No matter what I change the dimensions to, the QT player plays in 4:3. This is going to a client for review and eventually being exported to web where it has to be 16:9 to fit correctly in the web player.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:16:14 pm

You see that "Compressor Native" setting for size? Screw it. Drop it down and go with a custom square-pixel 16x9 setting.

For emailing, I'll export from the FCP timeline using QT conversion, the medium broadband setting, and make a custom size of 480x270, which is 16x9. If you can afford to have a bigger file size and better frame rate, go with the high broadband setting.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Stephen Nahroniak
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:23:21 pm

Hey Dave,
I've already tried exporting custom 480x270 and it still comes out in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Should I preserve aspect ratio using crop?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:34:12 pm

No.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Stephen Nahroniak
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:50:27 pm

Got it to work. Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]