FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR audio sync problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Dehn
DSLR audio sync problem
on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:11:35 pm

Getting caught up on these fancy new DSLR workflows...

My double system audio is drifting out of sync.

Shot video on a Canon 60D (1080p, 24), and audio on a Tascam DR-100 mkII (24-bit, 48K WAVs). Ingested the video through the Canon plugin to ProRes 422, and the WAVs I just dragged straight into the browser.

Far as I can see, the Canon shoots at 23.976, so it shouldn't be a pulldown issue (played with audio speed to verify 99.9% doesn't fix it).

I also looked at Cow posts and tutorials and on their advice made sure the default setting for imported audio is 23.98. (When I import the audio, no frame rate shows in the browser, but imported jpegs show a rate of 23.98, so it looks like I've set what tutorials told me to set.)

Anyone know what I'm missing? Is it just that the Tascam DR-100 doesn't have crystal sync? I knew for $300 I might not be getting perfect gear. Still, experience tells me operator error is the more likely problem...

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: DSLR audio sync problem
on Feb 17, 2012 at 1:46:31 am

How much drift and which direction is the drift? Every digital recorder has a crystal oscillator. I seriously doubt anything but minute drift with an modern digital recording device.

Compare your current easy setup with the edit sequence settings. Also audio should be imported from within FCP using the right mouse menu, not drag and drop.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Dehn
Re: DSLR audio sync problem
on Feb 18, 2012 at 9:34:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. Good questions, and looked at original footage and also did a test shot creating a sync point every minute for the 12 minutes the camera shot before it maxed out.

It's off by about one frame per 10 minutes, so admittedly not much, but I guess that's my real question, whether this is within a normal tolerance for this gear or if I'm doing something wrong.

The audio is slower, meaning if it's in sync at 1:00:00:00, then at 1:10:00:00, I have to move the audio clip back one frame.

By the way, I did confirm easy setup matches the sequence in terms of frame rate, but I'm using FCP 6.0.6, which doesn't seem to have an easy setup for ProRes 422, so in the easy setup I choose Format HD, Rate 23.98, and Use custom setup, which is set to ProRes 422 matching the sequence settings, set via Final Cut Pro/Audio video Settings/Sequence Presets. Then when I drag the video clip to the timeline it still gives me the pop-up to change the sequence settings to match clip settings, and I confess I'm not sure why. Could that be the issue?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]