FORUMS: list search recent posts

Settings for editing Multimedia piece in FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Samuel
Settings for editing Multimedia piece in FCP7?
on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:04:40 pm

Hi - I'm about to begin editing my first multimedia piece in FCP 7. I'm not so good at the technical settings and specs stuff so am teaching myself as I go along. I'm using RAW images and 48K .wav files. Eventually I may cut in some 24P NTSC video footage but not for this particular piece. Can someone help me with the FCP and photo settings so that I avoid some of the problems I've experienced in the past like blurry photos? I will be posting the final version online rather than outputting to DVD.

Here's a list of questions:
1) What are my ideal sequence settings for FCP?
2) What format should I export my photographs as - TIFFs?
3) What dimensions, dpi and color space should the photos be?
4) Render settings? - 8 vs. 16?

I've read some of the posts on creative cow about this and some of the posts suggest other programs like Keynote or Acrobat which I don't have. It should be possible to do this in FCP, right?

Thanks for your help!
Jen

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Settings for editing Multimedia piece in FCP7?
on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:24:28 am

I'd work in ProRes 4:2:2 1080p, and if you intend to move a lot on stills, set the frame rate to 30 (or 29.97). If you are going to add video files to the sequence, post what format these are.

Then use tiffs or PNG as a file format for your raw photos, cleaning them up in photo software and exporting them not much larger than about 2500 pixels in either direction. Set the DPI to 72. You should have an easy time of moving around on these images in FCP. This should end up looking pretty nice in a web stream.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Jennifer Samuel
Re: Settings for editing Multimedia piece in FCP7?
on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:17:37 pm

Great. Thanks so much. I've started a new ProRes 422 sequence and resized the photos to match the aspect ratio of the sequence. Is there a preferred color space - sRGB, Adobe RGB etc that works best in Final Cut?

Thanks,
Jen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]