FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good Idea or Already Possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Snow
Good Idea or Already Possible?
on Feb 16, 2012 at 7:39:52 pm

I'm trying to save space. I have a PowerPc and I'm working with DSLR footage. So it's a pain, but it does work.

Is the following already possible?

I have a file which is 2 gigs/2 minutes long. I only use ten seconds of that file.

Is there anyway I can create a new file of just that ten seconds?

Then I can store away the original on an Ext HD.

This will free up a ton of space.

My idea which would be time consuming is, create a QT movie for each cut and then reassemble the scene.

If I did this using the EXPORT QT MOVIE (not QT conversion) would I lose a lot of quality?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Good Idea or Already Possible?
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:07:08 pm

Set in set out export self contained movie. No quality loss if you keep current settings.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

George Snow
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:15:07 pm

Thank You!

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:02:34 pm

Or even one it in QuickTime and select in/out points to delete unwanted sections and delete them. Save remaining file as new file name and viola!

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:42:22 pm

Hi George,

FCP's Media Manager would be the best tool for the job here. My only question would be to ask why you actually need to reduce the file size - a 2GB file is tiny!! Having a smaller file is not going to make your playback any better, if that's what your computer is struggling with. You need faster harddrives and a file format that FCP and PowerPCs are comfortable with (such as DVCProHD).

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

George Snow
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:54:31 pm

At the moment I'm unemployed and broke. I'm also in the middle of shooting a movie. So, space is at a premium. I have a firewire drive I'm using to store the footage I'm using and a USB drive I'm storing everything on.

There's no problems playing the footage on the firewire drive, but it's old and only holds 250gigs. But, if I try to play the footage from the USB drive (new 1 tb) it stops every two seconds with dropped frames.

So,I need the space, and it's working like a charm. I've freed up over 100 gigs so far. And I still have about another 100 once I complete the sound from the original files.

It makes sense from a poor man's perspective.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]