FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 project disappears from drive while I'm working on it...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Gariepy
Final Cut Pro 7 project disappears from drive while I'm working on it...
on Feb 16, 2012 at 6:56:52 pm

Weird problem here that's never happened to me before. I'm working on a perfectly normal project in Final Cut Pro 7, on Leopard, from an external Lacie hard drive.

At some point, I try to save but it tells me that I can't save the project. I try save as, it still won't save. I go look in the Finder, and my project, all of a sudden, is not on the drive anymore. It disappeared. Remember that Final Cut is still open and I can still work on it, it just won't save. And if I quit Final Cut (without saving, because I can't), there is no trace of this project on my drive. At this point, the only thing I can do is use the Autosave file and re-create the project with it.

It's happened a couple of times today and I don't understand since I'm working the exact same way I'm always doing. Has anyone ever seen this? Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 project disappears from drive while I'm working on it...
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:42:44 pm

It occasionally happens to me; I do a Save As to the desktop, quit FCP, move copy the project file to its proper location, then open it in FCP. If everything's there, I get rid of the older project file and rename the newer one, removing the "copy" from the file name.

Hasn't failed me yet.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jose Luis Romo-Rosales Orrantia
on Jul 22, 2013 at 2:59:15 pm

Dave i tried to save it on my desktop like the last time it happened to me, but this time it doesnt let my save it, and it dissapered completely, i had to open it from the last autosave

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:48:26 pm

[Philippe Gariepy] "external Lacie hard drive" I cringe when I hear Lacie.

Always keep your project file on your system drive. Where is your AutoSave Vault?

Follow Dave's advice.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Philippe Gariepy
on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:18:37 pm

My AutoSave vault is on the system drive, so there's no problem with that. It's just that I can lose up to 20 minutes of work just because of this, and it an get tiring.

Also, the main problem is that I can't save a copy on the desktop. I tried it a couple of times. I can't save anywhere. Any idea why this would be happening? Does it have anything to do with the external hard drive. I know that Lacie is not the most recommended brand, but I never had any problem before with them.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2012 at 12:16:32 am

[Philippe Gariepy] "...I can lose up to 20 minutes of work just because of this, and it an get tiring...."

Oooh, talk like that leads one to believe this isn't the first time this has happened to you.

Well, if you can't save, bit the bullet and shut FCP down. Then run through the usual litany of stuff: trash preferences, repair permissions, run Disk warrior....

....and get yourself a better storage device. Editing on FCP with that thing you have now is like putting tires on your car that were made in Botswana: sure, they'll be okay for a while... but how long?

You're flirting with disaster.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Griggs
on Feb 20, 2012 at 5:52:51 pm

You can also set auto save to run a lot sooner....like every 5 mins. Sometimes slightly annoying when you try to hit play and it wants to save, but certainly MUCH better than losing 20 minutes of work....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]