FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking for big external drive for project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeffrey durkin
looking for big external drive for project
on Feb 16, 2012 at 3:35:22 pm

Hi all,
I'm currently getting a project ready for post production and looking for a large capacity (4TB-6TB) external harddrive to work off. The drive will hold all the video, audio, render, sound FX, FCP and all other content files and the goal is pass it from person to person. A few other notes:
- This will be a working drive, not a backup
- FCP 7.0 with OSX 10.5.8 (and other machines)
- MacPro 2x2.8 Intel Xeon, 16GB DDR2- RAM (and other machines)
- will be used as the scratch disk too
- budget about $300-$600
- connected using firewire
-I know WD MyBook has a 6TB dual drive option- is this right for a working drive?

What do you guys use when you need to move around a feature film for multiple workers using FCP?
Thanks
Jeff

Return to posts index

Richard Keating
Re: looking for big external drive for project
on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:27:28 pm

You may want to check the speed of the WD MyBook (you want disks that are 7200rpm). If the drives are 5400rpm, it may be ideal for data back-up, but not as a work drive for video. For a good solid work drive for video, I've always been a fan of G-Tech. They have a 6TB Raid for 600 and change (http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid.cfm). I use the 4TB version as my main daily work drive and it's been great.

Richard Keating
Freelance Editor
http://www.richardkeating.com

Return to posts index

jeffrey durkin
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:56:42 pm

thanks guys, I'm hearing about the G-tech, and it's in my price range. I'll keep learning more,
but that's the frontrunner now. I knew I would get solid advice here. Thanks Jeff

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:35:16 pm

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/PerformanceRAID

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:10:39 pm

[jeffrey durkin] "- budget about $300-$600"

Not with hard drive prices today. You are going to have to invest. Double those numbers.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:53:45 pm

G-Raid with 6TB $649.00
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid.cfm#
Caldigit VR2 6TB $799.00
http://www.CalDigit.com/store.asp#VR

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:06:53 am

Go the G-RAID. The Western Digital drives have odd firmware within chip which means if it goes wrong its a real pain. We've had G-RAID's here as well, great drives.

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:02:36 pm

The G-Raid comes as raid 0 and you can't change that so
If what you seek is protection I would choose another disk or buy two of them. It's a good disk but having your entire project on just one disk, as good as it may, be can be dangerous.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:22:09 pm

That's incorrect, you can change it to mirror (Raid1) using their utility software :)

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:33:42 pm

Come to think of it, I'm referring to the 2TB ones I use, the 4tb and above you may well be able to RAID 5....

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Feb 17, 2012 at 11:03:02 pm

Are you sure you are not confused? Becuse I know that the G-Raid Mini can be raid 0 or 1. The G-Speed Q can be 0 to 5 but the G-Raid is just Raid 0.
It would be imposible for the G-Raid to be Raid 5 since
It only has 2 disks.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Feb 18, 2012 at 12:23:53 am

Yes I am sure, I own two 2TB G-RAIDS, neither of which are mini l. The utility allows me to set the RAID "mode" of them between 0 and 1. As it happens i have them both on 0 but the option is definitely there, i can upload screenshots if necessary.

I have however realised I must e wrong about the RAID5 thing on the bigger G-RAIDS because even though they are larger capacity, they are still only 2 HDDs inside so RAID5 wouldn't be possible. (At least I think that last bit is right, please someone correct me if the larger cap. gRaids use more than 2 drives! I'm on my phone and don't have time to double check, but can't imagine that being the case :D)

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]