FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Media Manager - Which Files From Where are Copied?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Burns
FCP 7 Media Manager - Which Files From Where are Copied?
on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:48:13 am

Despite the apparent simplicity of FCP's Media Manager I am struggling to get a full copy of my entire project onto a different drive correctly.

There is a problem with an audio file - a 1.5GB 48k 24bit WAV. It's the entire soundtrack which was created separately, imported to the project, and synched with the video files. This file is not media managed to the new project (on a separate drive) when I media manage it.

Even when I copy the file manually and reconnect it, it appears to have the incorrect bit rate (the reconnection process complains about data rate and in-outs being wrong).

The only way I've found to work around this is to export the file from the original project - and even then only quicktime conversion works - to an aiff file. Then copying the file over to the new drive, importing it, and dropping it on my sequence timeline shows that this syncs correctly.

In my naivety, I expected all the files that are linked to a project to 'travel' with media manager to the destination drive. It seems this is not that case. Or am I going mad?

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

Jim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP 7 Media Manager - Which Files From Where are Copied?
on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:52:03 am

You may be suffering an old GC bug related with the default sequence settings (easy setup).
Have a look to this:
http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Burns
on Feb 18, 2012 at 12:27:04 pm

Hi Rafael

Thanks for posting the link. It looks like this might be the problem.

Unfortunately when I attempt the XML export I encounter a problem that prevents the XML export from completing.

The dialog entitled "Exporting XML Data" get to 62% progress before failing with "XML Translation was aborted due to a translation error."

It doesn't create a file so I can't even go back to where it failed to see what's gone wrong.

This is four years work - a feature doc I made - which was taken on a G-tech drive to a post house for grading and dubbing mix and now I need to edit a trailer for my film. I want to get this project back onto my RAID 6 box because I'm really concerned about having the only working copy on a RAID 0. I'm stuck and I have no more cash. I have managed to copy all the files over to the RAID 6 just in case something catastrophic happens.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jim Burns
on Feb 19, 2012 at 3:27:49 pm

I'm struggling with this, and think I've exhausted google and the forum search in the process.

I've tried to split up the project - the file was 50Mb - and moved some older sequences into another project and archived it. Then I can export XML for the entire project without a crash. So a step in the right direction I think.

I can export XML for the two remaining sequences and can import it back into a blank project. But when I try to import the XML for the entire project into a blank new FCP project the import doesn't complete, I get no error message, and none of the sequences, Bins, clips etc etc appear in the project.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to get to the root of this problem?

To recap. I have a 93 minute long feature doc, a project with two sequences, 8 bins, and 400-odd clips. When I try to media manage this to a big RAID6 box it crashes media manager. When I export the XML for the project and try to import it to a new blank project it doesn't complete.

Thanks! Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Burns
on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:17:51 am

In case this helps in some way, here is the top section of the Problem Report from FCP when it crashes during the media management of my project.

Process: Final Cut Pro [1260]
Path: /Applications/Final Cut Pro 7.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Identifier: com.apple.FinalCutPro
Version: 7.0.3 (7.0.3)
Build Info: FCPApp-1008261348~8
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [119]

Date/Time: 2012-02-20 03:15:09.952 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Anonymous UUID: 39C56B41-489D-442E-92D8-A18864FF4E9F

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000ffffffff
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x91190ae6 AL_fillAlias + 1344
1 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x911d1d9b UpdateAlias + 180
2 ...alCutPro.Plugins.QTM Reader 0x0edb59dd AudioExtractor::Initialize(KGQTMovieContainer*, KGAudioFormat const&, double) + 24857
3 ...alCutPro.Plugins.QTM Reader 0x0edd2e52 AudioExtractor::~AudioExtractor() + 50392
4 ...alCutPro.Plugins.QTM Reader 0x0edd6422 PluginMainEntry(long, long, KGDictInt*, void*) + 12560
5 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x00198794 pKGCopyFile(KGFileRec*, KGFileSpec*, unsigned char, unsigned long) + 282
6 ...utPro.Plugins.Media Manager 0x0eb8242c MoveOrTrimOnlineFileSegmentEntry(KGDictInt*, KGDictInt*, long, KGFileSpec*, void*, unsigned char, long, unsigned char*, unsigned char*, KGFileSpec*, KGDictInt*) + 2098
7 ...utPro.Plugins.Media Manager 0x0eb83767 MoveOrTrimFileEntry(KGDictInt*, KGFileSpec*, unsigned char, long, KGDictInt*) + 1695
8 ...utPro.Plugins.Media Manager 0x0eb8539c MMProcessMediaFiles(KGDictInt*, char*, KGDictInt*) + 5774
9 ...utPro.Plugins.Media Manager 0x0eb66e88 KGMMRunBatchRADIngest(KGDictInt*, long, KGDictInt*, KGDictInt*, unsigned char) + 7364
10 ...utPro.Plugins.Media Manager 0x0eb67ea2 PluginMainEntry(long, long, KGDictInt*, void*) + 3118

Return to posts index

Jim Burns
on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:34:22 pm

Hi, Can anyone help here?

Is there a limitation in size that FCP Media Management works to?

Is there a limit in size for XML imports? Mine is now about 75Mb.

I've been stuck with this for about 5 days straight now. I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks very much!

Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Burns
on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:33:57 pm

Solved.

In case anyone else spends a week of their life trying to figure this out...

- XML import seems to fail when the XML file is too large. I can't find any reference to the maximum size.
- My project had four jpegs referenced. Each was 4000 pixels wide. Goodness knows how they got there. They are not used in my project nor are they in any of the bins. However, I resized them and Media Manager worked, finally.

I also discovered that if any of your files are not in the folder hierarchy for the project they will not be consolidated by Media Manager. I had to copy loads of files manually and then reconnect them in FCP.

Loads of lessons learned for me. Hopefully some use to some other poor soul!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]