FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCam EX Footage in FCP: Transcode to ProRes or Work with XDCam?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Reisberg
XDCam EX Footage in FCP: Transcode to ProRes or Work with XDCam?
on Feb 15, 2012 at 10:47:06 pm

So I just pulled in footage shot on the Sony F3, on the SxS cards. I brought it into FCP via Log and Transfer with the Sony plug-in.

Is there a difference between these two methods:

1. Edit with the XDCam footage on an XDCam sequence
2. Export the XDCam footage from FCP and batch transcode to Pro Res HQ, and bring it all back into FCP and work with that.

Thanks,
Bryan

Return to posts index

Richard Keating
Re: XDCam EX Footage in FCP: Transcode to ProRes or Work with XDCam?
on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:05:03 am

I find that things work a little more smoothly with pro res files. In my experience, XDCAM timelines occasionally stall, and render times are longer, as are exports. Problem is, if you have lots of footage, the extra step of transcoding could cost you some time.

Richard Keating
Freelance Editor
http://www.richardkeating.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:27:13 am

No need of transcoding.
Import the EX stuff, open a sequence and conform it to the footage, then change the sequence codec to Prores/Prores HQ.
When you have your editing ready to export, set "Render all YUV in High Precision' and export.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Feb 16, 2012 at 3:41:41 pm

@ Rafael - all that approach does is put XDCam footage in a timeline with ProRes as the codec of choice for rendering/exporting. Your final export will still take longer and I don't think XDCam EX plays as well with FCP as ProRes does (i.e. smooth playback, stalling, more rendering for effects, etc.)

I agree with Richard - ProRes plays better within FCP7 and export times are reduced. Additionally, if you plan on doing any color grading, compositing, or vfx work I would always recommend ProRes over XDCAM EX. However, if you have hours upon hours of footage the up front hit to transcode all the to ProRes may offset any gains. Especially if all you're doing is a simple cut/dissolve style edit.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.com
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Bryan Reisberg
on Feb 16, 2012 at 3:43:46 pm

Thanks everyone for the info!

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:48:37 pm

My preference is to edit in the native codec, but set the render codec to ProRes. That way, there will be no conforming until the final output, your rendering will be much faster, and your graphics and color grading will have the benefit of the ProRes codec. It's really the best of both worlds.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]