FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting ProRes422 HQ - do I recompress all frames?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Martin
Exporting ProRes422 HQ - do I recompress all frames?
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:43:33 pm

Hi,
I'm having a weird last minute problem. I'm exporting a 70 minute film that is pro res 422 HQ. When I export it as a QuickTime using sequence settings and Recompress All Frames unchecked the video frequently pops... It looks like a shot is resizing slightly bigger for a split second and happens every few seconds.

I did a small test checking the recompress box and that seems to fix the problem but also seems to take twice as long to export. So I wanted to ask the community if they thought this was the right solution or if it could be a different problem.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exporting ProRes422 HQ - do I recompress all frames?
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:58:16 pm

This certainly isn't formal FCP behavior, but sadly, it's tough to tell if there may be other causes.

We have no details about your machine, OS, software, footage & codec, image size or workflow that would aid in making a diagnosis.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:08:53 pm

I had the exact same problem (exporting to regular ProRes - not HQ). It did not show up in FCP (7.0.3 and OSX 10.7.2) only on the exported clip.

I 'fixed' it by match framing the clip and re-dropping them in the timeline - pain in the ass. Not sure if recompress is faster or not - but it is at least a set and forget fix....

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

2.93Core i7 ** 4GB ** 10.6.7 (Office / Photoshop/ FCP 7)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 8GB ** 10.6.7 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

Where They Raced
http://www.wheretheyraced.com

Return to posts index

Anne Leaf
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:09:45 pm

Sorry for the lack of info!

I'm working off a macbook pro, OS 10.6.8, Final Cut 7, Memory 8 GB, Processor 2.2 GHz

The footage is Apple ProRes 422 HQ, 1920x1080. This is a quicktime file that came back from the color correct. We added the graphics and now we're exporting it out to bring back to the post house to lay off to tape.

I just did another two tests.

1. Instead of playing the footage back in Quicktime I brought it into Final Cut and it looked fine. this is with recompress frames unchecked.

2. I exported a reference file, brought it into Compressor and exported an Apple Pro Res 422HQ for Progressive material. This also played funky in QT but fine in FCP. This seems by far the fastest way to go but it makes me nervous to do this way.

If it plays back OK in Final Cut does that mean I'm good? Is it safe to export a reference file and then send it through compressor or will I lose quality that way?

Thanks again for the fast response.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:16:11 pm

Aaahhh! Details are good. If the reimported file looks good in in FCP, it's good.
Before anything else transpires, inquire if the post house can read ProRes HQ files; your job may very well be completed if it can.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Anne Martin
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:27:16 pm

Ah...what a relief! What is causing it to pop like that in QT? Could I be missing a codec?

Post house requested ProRes so hopefully when it's laid out to tape the problem will be ok.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:42:11 pm

ProRes HQ has a pretty high bit rate; perhaps you played the file off an external drive that couldn't keep up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:08:04 am

[Anne Leaf] "We added the graphics and now we're exporting it out to bring back to the post house to lay off to tape."
Text needs to be rendered.
In the sequence setting check "Render in high precision".
Render the sequence before exporting (select all, option-R).
Don't check "Recompress all the frames".

[Anne Leaf] "If it plays back OK in Final Cut does that mean I'm good? Is it safe to export a reference file and then send it through compressor or will I lose quality that way?"
No if your sequence is not fully rendered. The reference movie needs the render files too.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Feb 16, 2012 at 3:44:59 am

[Rafael Amador] "No if your sequence is not fully rendered. The reference movie needs the render files too."

Rafael, in my experience, if you export a reference file without rendering the sequence first, then the unrendered sections will be computed on the fly, during export and embedded into the reference movie. So you'll end up with a bigger reference file, but it will work.

I've had issues in the past where I would get color pops upon export between a video clip, and a freeze frame of the last frame of the clip. Turning on the "recompress all frames" was one way (of several) to solve this. But that doesn't sound like this situation.

Could it be a function of the "conform aperture" setting in quicktime player? Kind of a wild guess ... but since FCP does ignore the "production aperture" info in a quicktime movie, it would be consistent with the behaviour you are seeing.

Try opening the movie in QTPlayer 7 and playing with the different "conform aperture" settings in the "presentation" tab of the movie properties.

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:47:59 pm

[Matt Lyon] "Could it be a function of the "conform aperture" setting in quicktime player? Kind of a wild guess ... but since FCP does ignore the "production aperture" info in a quicktime movie, it would be consistent with the behaviour you are seeing."
Hi Matt,
Yes could be an "aperture" issue, but everything I export from FC comes out as "Production".
I do not work with ref files so not sure if a reff file could play things with two different presentation modes.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]