FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mysterious freeze-up of image for 10 seconds

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Herriott
Mysterious freeze-up of image for 10 seconds
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:25:28 pm

Hello all...

Sent my 85-minute film directly out of FCP 7.0.3 into Compressor 3.5.3 (6.0 VBR, 7.7 MBR, all Frame Control settings to "Better") and then into DVD Studio Pro and was, overall, very happy with how it looked. HOWEVER, 50 min. into the film the image freezes for about 10 seconds. The audio continues to play normally. After the 10-second image freeze, all is back to normal. I thought, perhaps, it had something to do with the clip in question being a 720p GoPro shot I had slowed down 50% (the vast majority of my film is 1080i). Replaced the slo-mo shot with a clip running at 100% speed. Same thing happens now in the clip JUST PREVIOUS to where the freeze-up occured before. There's no markers anywhere near. Everything had been rendered. When I did a test "Send" out of FCP of the footage in question (I included about 5 seconds of footage on both sides of the freeze up point) it looked fine!! WTF? I know the problem is occuring in the FCP > Compressor Send phase because I can see the freeze framing in the DVD Studio Pro canvas with the created .m2v file.

Quicktime video setting in the Timeline is Apple ProRes 422.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Scott

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Mysterious freeze-up of image for 10 seconds
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:37:14 pm

Try this workflow. Export a self-contained movie (nice to have a Digital copy). Drop that file into Compressor and choose your bit rate hit submit. Create your DVD in DVDSP.

If you do not see a freeze in your Self-contained movie, then something is happening in the encode.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Scott Herriott
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:45:56 pm

Actually doing a test run on that now, Steve. Thanks.

In my scouring around the Web the consensus seems to be that Sending directly out of FCP into Compressor garnered better results than the QT > Compressor route since there's some extra compression going on in the former. And like I mentioned before, overall, it does looks awesome except for those 10 friggin' seconds! Anyone else have thoughts on the "Send directly out of FCP into Compressor" vs. "Export self-contained QT and then into Compressor" issue? Would love to hear opinions.

Thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:51:04 am

[Scott Herriott] "In my scouring around the Web the consensus seems to be that Sending directly out of FCP into Compressor garnered better results than the QT > Compressor route since there's some extra compression going on in the former."

Nope! Exporting a self contained QT does not re-compress anything that's previously rendered, so there's no generation loss and no added compression step. Exporting directly to Compressor form the timeline re-renders every clip, hence it takes much, much longer than the way Steve has recommended.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]