FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you like to add Timecode for Clients?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Parsons
How do you like to add Timecode for Clients?
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:20:30 am

I have a pretty lengthy process for outputting a video with Timecode for my clients to comment on and am looking to simplify and speed up that process.

What I do now:
• Export from the timeline using Export > Quicktime Movie... (current settings)
• Bring that video back into FCP and drop it into another timeline and put a TimeCode Reader filter on it
• Export from the timeline again using Export > Quicktime Movie... (current settings)
• Bring the video with timecode into Compressor and transcode to H.264

The reason I've taken to doing it this way is because if I were to nest my sequence and put the TimeCode Reader filter on the nest it would require rendering, whereas with my method there is no rendering required when the TimeCode Reader is applied. It does, however, require me to export twice and then transcode which can take a lot longer than I'd like.

Any suggestions for something I should be doing differently? How do you like to add timecode to your projects?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: How do you like to add Timecode for Clients?
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:27:15 am

I am sure you can add the timecode window in Compressor. Plus QT player can put a t/c overlay window on during playback.

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:41:30 am

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I don't like Compressors TimeCode Generator because there's no option to add a semi-transparent black box around the text so the text disappears behind white frames. I tried making a box for the text and using it as a watermark, but the watermark appears over the text so that won't work. D'oh

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:55:07 am

It's the semi-transparent box that's killing you on your render time. If you go with a solid box you can use Compressor which will be the fastest option.

Shy of using Compressor you can still expedite the process by dropping your sequence onto a new sequence and applying the generator to the nested sequence. This removes one export.

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:27:42 pm

Jeff Meyer It's the semi-transparent box that's killing you on your render time. If you go with a solid box you can use Compressor which will be the fastest option.
Shy of using Compressor you can still expedite the process by dropping your sequence onto a new sequence and applying the generator to the nested sequence. This removes one export.

There's no render time in my workflow, just export time – which is significantly shorter than render time. If I were to nest my sequence like you suggested and put the TimeCode Reader on the nest, then I would have to render that.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to put a box (semi-transparent or 100% opaque) around the timecode in Compressor, please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:57:03 am

Dustin- Maybe this will help. Duplicate your sequence in FCP> Ad the time code overlay in your new sequence>render>export to .264 as quicktime export or use compressor.

This works for me. HTH.
Jerry

MacPro 2.93 Quad
FCP7
Sony Z-1
GV-HD700

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:31:37 pm

Yeah, that seems like what most people are doing but that method actually slows down my overall time because rendering my entire sequence with the TimeCode Generator on there takes about 16 minutes whereas exporting only takes 2-3, so even though I have to export twice before transcoding to H.264, I've still saved 10 minutes.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:24:30 am

Dustin,

I use TokiTC. http://www.tokitest.fr/english/tokitc.html

It's great and does exactly what I need it to without an additional render. If you were in FCP7, you could export a QT reference movie. Or in FCPX, export a full res QT file.

Open the QT file with TokiTC. When the file first loads, it will ask you if you want to import the timecode. A friend recommended saying no to that. So I always just hit no.

You can change a bunch of settings. I always change the background to black and the text to white. Turn everything off in the panels other than TC (unless you want other stuff on). You can move the TC wherever you want in the frame.

It saves the TC as a text track within the Quicktime file. So, it takes between no time at all and a few minutes, depending on the length of the project.

I then open the file in compressor. Or, if I want to save time, I use Quicktime 7 and export to iPod. It makes a great quality movie and is very fast.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 15, 2012 at 9:55:42 am

For the record, QTchange has the same functionality.

And for the OP, if you burn in timecode, why on earth is it important how it looks? The whole idea is to give people feedback on what to write down, and/or make sure the video is not repurposed without your consent.

Now for Michael, how does one get QT player to overlay timecode?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:40:48 pm

Bouke Vahl The whole idea is to give people feedback on what to write down

Exactly, which is why it's important that the timecode is legible – to ensure that, I require either a drop shadow or a surrounding box to make sure that the timecode can still be read even if the timecode color is the same as the background image. Compressor doesn't offer either of those options as a solution.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:54:15 pm

Bouke, this was reported by Walter Biscardi many years ago

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1041043

It is for QT 7 not X

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Feb 15, 2012 at 9:02:47 pm

[Bouke Vahl] "Now for Michael, how does one get QT player to overlay timecode?
"

As I mentioned, just use Toki TC. It adds the TC as a text track to the Quicktime file. No additional rendering needed, other than compressing the file, which flattens the TC onto the final image.

Text tracks in Quicktime are, I suppose, for closed captioning. The software is doing the overlay of the image.

This is the best workflow for TC I've found, by far. Just used it on a documentary and on a TV series.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Feb 15, 2012 at 10:59:45 pm

Thanks Michael, I'll give Toki TC a shot.

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:50:13 am

hi
you can add a watermark in compressor to use as a background for timecode. You just need to change the order of the the watermark and timecode filters to make the timecode appear on top of the watermark. To move them you just pick them up...

I make a 1920x1080 png with the timecode background in photoshop - it needs a little tweaking in terms of where the window is.

cheers
nick

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:57:50 am

...also i usually export from FCP as a reference movie, which takes no time. THen use my custom H264 with timecode and watermark setting in compressor, and it super quick and doesn't take up FCPs time

nick

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:29:05 pm

Nick Price"you can add a watermark in compressor to use as a background for timecode. You just need to change the order of the the watermark and timecode filters to make the timecode appear on top of the watermark. To move them you just pick them up..."

Awesome! I didn't even consider that they were moveable. I was able to get it to look like I wanted but, unfortunately, adding the Timecode Generator and Watermark in Compressor doubled or tripled the time it takes to transcode. So, it looks like I still be adding timecode in Final Cut.

Thanks for the reminder about reference movies, that definitely speeds things up. I'll definitely be incorporating that into my workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]