FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP canvas playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Edwards
FCP canvas playback
on Feb 14, 2012 at 8:36:08 pm

Hope somebody can help...

playback in canvas has started to stutter on all my project sequences, like it's playing back at a reduced frame rate. Project sequence settings were set up to match footage and have been editing over past few days with no probs on playback so far - have definitely done something inadvertently today.

Have checked RT - and tried setting playback video settings to dynamic etc, but hasn't worked. Equally have shut down and reopened FCP but still same problem.

Appreciate any help people can give. Thanks very much...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP canvas playback
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:00:16 pm

We can't tell you much, because we don't have any good information about your machine, your software and operating system, nor the nature of the the footage you're trying to edit.

But just from your description, a popular cause for this is attempting to edit mp4 footage or footage from a DSLR without having first converted it to ProRes 422. As you add more footage, the problem gets worse.

If that's the case, you need to convert your footage. Others will have to tell you how to progress in order to salvage your edit, if that's even indeed possible. Depending on how the footage was ingested, you may have hosed yourself in terms of salvage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Edwards
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:23:47 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. Editing on FCP 7.03, footage is 1080i - shot on Sony Z5, and imported straight from HDV tape deck. Hadn't converted to pro-res 422. Equally have been editing for a couple of weeks now without any problems on playback through canvas. I've done a test by exporting a section of the sequence and that's playing fine in Quicktime player.

Thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:31:09 pm

As I wrote earlier, this type of condition gets worse as you add more problem footage, and a lot of HDV footage can be a problem.

When you're ready to provide more details, we'll be able to provide better solutions than, "Well, yeah, that kind of thing happens."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]