FORUMS: list search recent posts

is there any good rule of thumb for estimating size of exported file or length of time it will take to export?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
is there any good rule of thumb for estimating size of exported file or length of time it will take to export?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:09:25 pm

I'm usually left without any clue how long it will take something to export and how large it will be. Anyway to try and judiciously estimate that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: is there any good rule of thumb for estimating size of exported file or length of time it will take to export?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:45:51 pm

The render time depends on processor speed more than anything else.
AJA has a data rate calculator (free download) that can estimate file size in a wide variety of frame rates and popular quicktime codecs.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: is there any good rule of thumb for estimating size of exported file or length of time it will take to export?
on Feb 15, 2012 at 10:01:49 am

Well, i disagree on both points.
Render time depends on system speed (as not all fx are done by the CPU, GPU also comes into play), and more it depends on the sort of fx used, and of course the amount.
If there are no effects, and the output is same as source, it depends on drive speed rather than CPU/GPU speed.

Now for size calculation. If you output to a fixed datarate codec, why would one need a calculator?
example, DV runs at 25 Mb/sec.
Thus a 10 seconds show will be 250 Mbits. That was fast :-)

The trouble occurs on rendering to some modern codecs. Sometimes they refuse to use the rate you want them to, so you end up with a file smaller than expected...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:09:20 pm

[Bouke Vahl] "Now for size calculation. If you output to a fixed datarate codec, why would one need a calculator? "

Um, for a quick comparison of file sizes using different codecs? ProRes LT vs. ProRes 422, perhaps? ProRes HQ vs. 10-bit Uncompressed? If you've memorized the data rates of all the quicktime codecs, I suppose it would be unnecessary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:29:14 pm

Sure, you're right.

I was mixed up with another thread where someone asked about file sizes for AVCHD 100Mbits.

Now that seems a dead givaway for datarate :-)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]