FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing video while playing back sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Gorodeckij
Capturing video while playing back sequence
on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:43:26 am

Yes, I want "logic studio" for video. I don't believe that this is impossible, I googled for 4 hours and couldn't find any hints how to achieve this.

While capture'ing video from webcam, and audio source from my external audio interface, it MUST BE POSSIBLE to play video in background.

For example. Let's create a sequence. Capture first clip which is a guitar rhythm. Then I want to capture one more clip with me soloing on top. I can't solo on silence, I need to hear the playback. Ideal variant would be: put guitar rhythm clip into timeline, and put empty clip above guitar rhytm clip, now push "capture" and "see" old video and capture in real time new one. and I would hear old video sound in my headphones. is this is so hard??? it's just a basic workflow as it should be!

Now I'm just recording video with right channel of guitar rhythm , and left channel of my solo, then syncing by right channel. this is suicide. it takes billion of time and yet hard to do a perfect sync. why bother with this if we just could play at least audio and capture video on top of this as you do with naration???

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Capturing video while playing back sequence
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:39:48 pm

[Roman Gorodeckij] "Yes, I want "logic studio" for video. I don't believe that this is impossible, I googled for 4 hours and couldn't find any hints how to achieve this. "

....which should be an indicator for you: it's not yet possible with typical desktop computers. Why not use multiple systems to do the job?

Instant replay systems are perfectly capable of this feat: they NEVER stop recording, and allow the operator to pick the desired video and play it back in slo-mo, all while live video continues. Of course, you need a TV production truck to do this type of work.

I'm sure you could rent one for a day for about five figures.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roman Gorodeckij
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:43:58 pm

ok then why we can view up to 4 fullhd videos on i7 processor, and it's so hard to capture video and at least play sound at the same time in the background of previous video? or badly drop frames of video which plays in background? capturing of video only takes 40% of my CPU in here... so I don't see any problems with this.. capture'int directly to usb hdd which is kind of 10mb/s maximum... what it can do. no problems.. so what's the problem with regular laptop to play video while capturing new one..?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2012 at 8:02:54 pm

[Roman Gorodeckij] "so what's the problem with regular laptop to play video while capturing new one..?"

Two answers:
1) There is no software written to perform this task.
2) A LAPTOP? Are you SERIOUS?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roman Gorodeckij
on Feb 14, 2012 at 8:07:44 pm

Dave I'm not following you. I'm not capturing from RED or something =)) It's just a webcam, with very poor bitrate, 2-3mb/s of video traffic. what's wrong with that? =) ok how then screen capturing works? people playing games with 60fps and capturing video in fullhd at one time, and nobody cries it's impossible..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2012 at 8:32:26 pm

This is about throughput, not processor speed: you're asking a storage device on your laptop to simultaneously read and write video with zero dropped frames.

Furthermore, through what kind of connection would you have those two streams of video simultaneously going in two directions? That hasn't even been discussed.

Audio files are tiny, video files are not. Even from a web cam.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roman Gorodeckij
on Feb 14, 2012 at 8:41:01 pm

let's say you have a macbook where you capture video from integrated webcam, and while capturing playing another video in background. It's possible to play video from any video player while capturing , why it's impossible to do from the same software so that timing would be in sync.... (atleast up to 8ms is fine). I don't even care about frame drops in here, doesn't matter for youtube anyway.. why from simple things people creating huge so many problems? I wouldn't say that audio files are tiny when you recording in 196Khz. i can record up tim 4 track at once , and this would be something like 300mb per second!! and I still able to listen for recorded tracks while writing current one =))

ok just say there's no such software and I'm happy..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2012 at 8:53:55 pm

There's no such software.

FCP can't do it. Premiere Pro can't do it. Avid can't do it. Vegas can't do it. Edius can't do it. They're not designed for it.

There's no such software.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:23:40 pm

What you want is a video equivalent of an audio mutiltrack recorder where you can playback tracks and record on other tracks. Easy to do with audio but always more difficult with video bandwidth but not impossible.

Bottom line is that I don't know any software that does this. Editing NLEs like FCP just don't have this facility so it is a moot point about whether it is feasible. I am not sure if there is a big enough market for this.

Return to posts index

Roy Bastiman
on Apr 28, 2014 at 3:35:26 pm

Hmmm....
I have only just come across this thread whilst looking for the solution to another problem
Mr LaRonde is correct, the software he lists cannot do this
The statement that 'There's no such software' is not correct
Now it may be getting on in years but my Newtek Video Toaster does all that is being requested by Mr. Gorodeckij
It also has what they (Newtek) call a 'chop' button
So when you are capturing, and wish to create the next file just click 'chop' and it does it for you
The 'old' file is dumped into the bin
Recording continues, with perhaps a few frames lost, the 'new' files name can be added at any time before the next 'chop' of recording stop
I would like to update my system so if any readers can help with other software which can perform this action I would be grateful if they would let me know

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]