FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text crawl speed control

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Neufeld
Text crawl speed control
on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:39:16 pm

I'm editing a documentary in FCP 7 that incorporates a large amount of text that I plan on crawling across the bottom of the screen at various points throughout the movie. I'm experimenting with the Boris text crawl effect which seems like a better one than the FCP crawl, but I'm wondering if there is any way to control for crawl speed and make clip duration variable? I understand the normal way to set the speed is to make the text clip longer or shorter, but for my purposes I would like to have a constant speed for all of my text crawls with the clip duration variable. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Ben

Return to posts index

Alexis Revitsky
Re: Text crawl speed control
on Feb 14, 2012 at 12:05:10 pm

When you have the text box selected there should be a window tab 'control' in order to do this. I recently did a video with text blocks that faded in over video. I actually went to Motion and "animated" the text to my liking with a transparent background. I found that to be the best way to control the text's speed and have consistent control.

Return to posts index

Ben Neufeld
on Feb 14, 2012 at 4:09:11 pm

Hey Alexis,

I am trying to work with a large amount of text that would be too cumbersome to animate with motion, I am working with the text crawl function which moves text ticker style across the screen. My text is in discrete sections though and I am looking for a precise control to standardize the crawl speed of the different sections of text, as it seems the speed is determined as a default by the clip length and amount of text. I want to make clip length variable and control for speed, I don't believe that motion can do this.

Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Neufeld
on Feb 14, 2012 at 4:44:11 pm

In addition, I just actually came across another problem--I don't know if anyone has input on this--I was able to change the speed of a text clip made with the Boris Title Crawl generator using the basic FCP speed control (after I reached the clip limit, which seems to be 2:00;04). I then tried doing the same thing on a second text clip, and when I applied the speed change the text just seems to disappear. Anyone have experience with this?

Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Neufeld
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:36:26 pm

Just found a solution. Plug in found here: http://alex4d.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/fcp-plugin-text-crawl/ has a speed control along with a variety of other options.

Ben

Return to posts index

Alexis Revitsky
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:46:46 am

Hi Ben

Motion can control the speed. It's in the settings function on the animation you create. I have changed the text animation speed in motion on a recent project. I'd like to help you more; unfortunately, I'm out of state and won't be in close proximity until Thursday. Email me if you'd like help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]