FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird audio problem - possible QuickTime issue?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Weird audio problem - possible QuickTime issue?
on Feb 12, 2012 at 11:32:27 am

I capture DV into FCP7 via a Sony J30 VTR. Everything's been fine, and now suddenly the captured audio is completely screwed up - it's hard to explain, but it sound a bit like it's been phase-reversed. The dialogue is very quiet, and the background sound is way up. It's completely unuseable.

I've trashed the prefs and it's made no difference. I think it's some kind of QuickTime issue, because the same thing happens when the file is played in QuickTime-based apps - FCP, QuickTime Player, MPEG Streamclip, iTunes. When I play the same file in VLC or Soundtrack Pro, the audio is perfect... but isn't STP QuickTime-based? Hmm.

Tomorrow I'll do a reinstall of QuickTime, but does anyone have any insight that might save me from having to do that?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Weird audio problem - possible QuickTime issue?
on Feb 12, 2012 at 11:44:46 pm

In FCP unlink the files and drop the level on one track of a clip and see if it sounds OK. My guess is a phase reverse problem in the original record. The other players are possibly playing the audio panned not summed.

The other issue may be how you are monitoring the audio but my guess is the difference between hearing the tracks summed as mono and panned as stereo.

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Feb 13, 2012 at 8:10:23 am

How does other audio material playback in QT?

Does the audio on ingest sound bad? And it sounds ok in VLC?

Perhaps the audio heads on the VTR have come out of alignment...

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Feb 14, 2012 at 4:46:33 am

The audio sounds perfect on ingest. There's no problem with the VTR that I'm aware of, I've tried it on a different FCP and it's fine. It definitely seems to be something to do with the way QT is interpreting the audio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]