FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wits end, CANON HV20

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hill
Wits end, CANON HV20
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:15:16 pm

So I have posted before about the headache I am having with my HV20 and FCP Studio 2.

I have tried it all,
yes camera is set to HDV
yes the footage is in HDV
yes the capture settings are correct (ive tried them all)
yes I have restarted
yes I have trashed preferences
yes etc etc.

Now I have been daisy chaining my camera (since forever) because my iMac has only one firewire800 port, well the final test was cut the middle man (firewire hard drive) and plug the camera directly into the computer. So I bought a cable today, and lo and behold the same damn issue. The only way I can capture is using iMovie, which sucks because my main hard drive is near full and you cant tell iMovie to capture elsewhere or I captuer in FCP using the "apple intermediate codec" which I hate because its laggy. Anyone have suggestions please. Why is this not working? It always used to.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Wits end, CANON HV20
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:44:50 pm

Problems like this are either software or hardware.... so you have to rule out one or the other to get to the fix. In the case of software you've done all that you could do save rebuilding your system drive. But before I'd do that, I'd make sure it's not that old camera going to pasture. Can you try it on another machine? (it doesn't sound too far gone though, because I don't think you could use it at all if it was really sick.)

Is it all tapes, or just some? What exactly doesn't it do other than "doesn't work"... no picture or device control? But you do have device control with the AIC codec in FCP? If so, then I suggest your problem is stemming from software, and the fix is an uninstall, then reinstall. If that fails, then a system drive rebuild is in order. If that fails, it was the camera's signal or your FW bus is wonky... neither of which is a cheap fix.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Feb 13, 2012 at 2:42:52 pm

The camera works just fine, I can import through iMovie which I do not like but its a last resort. Yes, no picture or device control unless I use the apple intermediate codec. Its very strange, Ill try re-installing FCP.

thanks very much for the advice.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:53:40 am

The camera works just fine, I can import through iMovie which I do not like but its a last resort. Yes, no picture or device control unless I use the apple intermediate codec. Its very strange, Ill try re-installing FCP

also, update I just reinstalled Final Cut and all the components and it still says the same error, any ideas??

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
on Feb 11, 2012 at 5:59:34 am

Others have had similar problems in the past. Search the forum using the phrase "Canon HV20 FireWire" and you'll see a number of threads. Also, use the same search terms at Apple's Support Community for FCS: https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_studio?view=discussions

It might not be worth the hassle, but have you considered downloading the FCPX 30-day trial to see if that works? http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

I have an HV10, and always captured to ProRes without a problem.

Since it worked OK at one point but doesn't now, I'm wondering if it's due to an operating system or ProApps update since then.

I feel for you (computer problems are very frustrating), and hope that something suggested above will help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]