FORUMS: list search recent posts

best image still file format for animating and compositing photos in a doc-film???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Natteau
best image still file format for animating and compositing photos in a doc-film???
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:13:13 pm

I'm making a documentary film that will use many animated composited photos as in the doc-film "Cocaine Cowboys".

Can anyone tell me what format the stills should be in for compositing in Final Cut Pro 7??? TIF? PSD? PNG?
Or should I instead be using After Effects for animated composited still work. I just figured FCP7 because that's what I'm editing my project in.

I'm just unsure which still format to use. I just now that I'll need transparency, alpha channels, etc.

Also I'll be scanning a lot of photos for this film from the National Archives. What format is best to scan in? I'll be doing a lot of Ken Burns type animated moves on stills too.

Thanks very much in advance for any tips, help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: best image still file format for animating and compositing photos in a doc-film???
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:36:41 pm

TIF and PNG are best. If you do this in FCP, they need to be under 4000 pixels in dimension. You cannot work with 8000x6000 files. FCP will choke.

I recommend using After Effects for this. No file size limit, works with any format, the moves are smoother, and compositing is easier.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: best image still file format for animating and compositing photos in a doc-film???
on Feb 10, 2012 at 8:32:36 pm

Except for working with audio timing. I wonder, now that Automatic duck is free, if you could use the large photos and time them in FCP, and then export the XML to After Effects to do the moves/compositing. Just lay them out in time to the music/narration in FCP with specific overlap, then use AE to do the rest. I would think that would work.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:58:17 pm

Motion doesn't have the 4k limit. I am not a Motion user for this sort of animating but I think you can have synced audio

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 12, 2012 at 7:46:30 am

I'd use the Targa format. I made a quick video tutorial on making alpha channels in Photoshop for use in editing programs:

LittleBlackBird.net

My Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]