FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCamEX transcode to ProRes?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
XDCamEX transcode to ProRes?
on Feb 10, 2012 at 3:47:12 pm

got some 1080p30 (29.97) footage shot on an EX3. I've been just injesting using the XD Cam Transfer function and editing natively. Its been working fine for most projects. However now I'm booked on an edit that involves other formats as well. Mostly a mix of ProRes flavors, 422 and HQ.

Question is, I've come to learn that Compressor does not maintain timecode, however, the Batch Export function in FCP 7 does. So I plan on Batch exporting all my XD Cam footage and transcoding to ProRes. But what flavor should I use? This project for only for new business presentations and NFA. So in trying to keep file sizes low, can I get away with ProRes LT?

My side by side test with LT and the XD Cam footage look just fine, but would it be better to use 422 to allow for a little more headroom. However, I'm not sure that headroom is needed because this will not get color graded and only minor color corrections will take place in FCP. Is 422 worth it? Def. no need for HQ.

Your thoughts?

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: XDCamEX transcode to ProRes?
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:03:49 pm

Hi matt,
the EX footage works great on a Prores sequence.
No need to transcode.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:08:36 pm

Hey Rafael, thx. But even though its EX is Long GOP and ProRes is I-frame? Thought the long gop was more taxing on the CPU and if on a prores sequence you'd have to render more often?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:30:07 pm

If it is on a PRoRes sequence, it works fine. I can back Raf up on that one. Simply using the ProRes sequence makes FCP look at the footage as ProRes. Not that taxing on the system.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:34:41 pm

Huh, never would have thought that. Thx fellas, I trust you both.

Thats good to know. I've been cutting everything native xd cam, then transcoding to PR on output.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]