FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Motion project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Cowart
FCP Motion project
on Feb 9, 2012 at 10:22:37 pm

Hello all,
After some trial and error I have realized I am not the most talented at figuring out motion. So I hired a dude to help me with a project. He has now bailed on me for big and brighter things.
The main issue here is opening sequence. Its a fairly common project but I wanted something interesting for the opening. Well I like the 'Parks and Recreations" opening.

I plan to throw in still images with the film sequences.
Any point in the right direction would be great.
Perhaps just tips on how to set up a efficient work flow, transitions, etc. so I'm not spending the next month trying to figure this out.
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: FCP Motion project
on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:12:46 am

You can lay your clips out in Final Cut, then send your sequence to Motion (right-click on the sequence in the bin and pick Sent to Motion Project.

In Motion you'll need lay your clips/text out in a Group, then move the group around on the canvas by keyframing its position. Another option is to move a camera over your group, but since you're keeping it simple I think sticking to a 2D group without a camera will be a good choice. You can use the crop options or masks to re-shape your media. The techniques aren't too difficult, but I would suggest starting with a scratch project to learn the skills.

For more help try the Cow's Motion forum.

Return to posts index

Eugene Cowart
on Feb 10, 2012 at 6:15:50 pm

thanks Jeff.

I can definitely try this. I'm also thinking of trying to create a template with drop zones and then dropping in clips and such. What do you think of this idea?
I have some experience with masking but its very limited. I think my novice skill with making sure the layout is similar will be on display if I go with that route.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:16:07 pm

I think if you use drop zones you'll hate your life. In my experience they're nice for designing with media that hasn't been created yet that you'll add later, and nice if you are going to be doing the same thing several times with different media. As a general rule of thumb I don't use them.

Just lay all of your clips out in Final Cut on V1, V2, V3, etc and sent to Motion. When you get into Motion bring them all into one group and move about. Stick to the crop tools instead of masks unless you need a specific shape - that'll make things a bit easier.

Take care to keep edges square and pay attention to your keyframe interpolation in the keyframe editor. Don't be scared by the word interpolation - it's just how Motion handles the space between the keyframes. You can right-click on a keyframe and pick linear interpolation for abrupt changes, or beziers for smooth starts and stops.

Return to posts index

Eugene Cowart
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:56:22 pm

This is great! You've been a huge help!

The next step is figuring out how to keep the same specs when making the transitions.
Can I even make those type of transitions without using a camera? Or would I need to use the camera to move form one group to the next?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]