FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 on Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hennelly
FCP 7 on Lion
on Feb 8, 2012 at 5:50:33 pm

Hello all, hoping someone might be able to help me out here... trying to run FCP 7 on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2. From what I know and have heard this may be near impossible due to discontinued support from apple and the push of FCPX with Lion. Does anyone know if my FCP 7 will ever run on Lion? Below are some other computer specs I'm working with...

Processor - 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Memory - 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB

Thanks all,
-MH

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 on Lion
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:08:21 pm

I'm running FCP 7 on Lion. Who says it doesn't work?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Hennelly
on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:22:26 pm

Sorry, should have been more clear... I've been told there are bugs with Lion that can cause FCP 7 to not run at it's best and considering my issue - anytime I bring a clip onto the timeline FCP crashes - I bought in. My problem could be the computer itself (or some component of the computer ie: video card... sorry, not a total tech head). I've imported a simple JPEG as a test and that works OK but video is my problem.

Compared to the computer you're on, and the specs I've laid out with the comp I'm working on, would you say it's a computer issue and not a FCP or Lion issue?

Return to posts index

Thom Bellazzi
on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:28:56 pm

hey shane

have you noticed any better performance running FCP 7 on lion? or any bugs? I am still running 10.6.8 osx, but as soon as I have a free moment I am going to build a second partition with lion and FCP 7. Thanks for any input

Thom

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:12:46 pm

Running FCP 7.0.3 on MacPro equipped with Lion since October. Have not done the latest Lion update yet. FCP runs great. Use mostly ProRes 422 / DVCPro HD Sequences. Mastering in SD using MXO2 to Beta SP & Digi Beta work. Like how Lion switches between applications with a swipe.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:00:28 pm

What format are the clips? I've been editing ProRes on my home system (Octo 3.0 MacPro, 12GB RAM) without issue.

[Thom Bellazzi] "have you noticed any better performance running FCP 7 on lion? or any bugs?"

No, and no. FCP 7 is a 32bit app. Even though it is in a 64 bit environment, it's still 32bit.

I mainly use it on Snow Leopard, but use it on Lion on occasion as that is where I have Media Composer installed. Seems to be working fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Hennelly
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:15:10 pm

I've used ProRes among a few others - mpeg4, H.264 - but still the same issue. Once I attempt to bring a clip to the timeline boom... it crashes and closes out.

I appreciate the help...
-MH

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:35:10 pm

NEVER edit H.264 or MPEG 4 with FCP 7. Never ever ever ever ever. FCP does not like working with those formats. Even in Snow Leopard.

Fresh install? from the disks?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Hennelly
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:58:26 pm

I'm with you... I don't edit with those formats either but was trying every which way to see what could be the problem. I might have to go the fresh install route.

Not sure if it matters but Lion was already on the computer when I installed FCP. It was never on snow leopard then upgraded to Lion. It probably has no bearing on my issue but thought I'd throw it out there in case it rings a bell.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:23:02 pm

How did you install FCP in the first place? Migration? From the disks?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Hennelly
on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:41:33 pm

Disks

Return to posts index

John Oselette
on Feb 9, 2012 at 2:09:04 am

Greetings,

I recently installed OS X Lion 10.7.2 on my iMac. I have been operating FCP 7 on Snow Leopard without issues for almost 3 years. Since installing Lion, when I launch the Voice Over Tool in Final Cut, it freezes up and I have to force quit.

Any suggestions?

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512 MB

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:02:14 pm

Heck, I'm using fresh install of FCP6 on a new Imac with Lion. No performance issues what-so-ever (although it took some black magic to get installed).

Download and install the trial of Digital Rebellion's Pro Maintenance Tools. Run Crash Analyzer. It will point you in the right direction of where your problem lies.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/promaintenance/

Return to posts index

John Oselette
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:04:58 pm

Thanks Dennis. I will give that a go.

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Feb 9, 2012 at 8:35:09 pm

Actually yes I had a Voiceover tool problem recently with FCP/Lion setup. A few crashes back to back whenever I tried changing the tool from 44k to 48k. Seemed like it was solved by resetting the capture scratch for some reason. That was very strange. So far all good now.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

John Oselette
on Feb 9, 2012 at 8:37:32 pm

I have been unable to get that far. As soon as I launch from the menu or shortcut, it crashes.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
@Shane
on Feb 10, 2012 at 2:42:47 am

[Shane Ross] "I mainly use it on Snow Leopard, but use it on Lion on occasion as that is where I have Media Composer installed. Seems to be working fine."
Hi Shane, do you have them on the same disk with two partitions?
rafa

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: @Shane
on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:57:35 am

[Rafael Amador] "Hi Shane, do you have them on the same disk with two partitions?"

Currently, no....different drives.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:02:52 pm

[Shane Ross] "[Rafael Amador] "Hi Shane, do you have them on the same disk with two partitions?"

Currently, no....different drives.
"

Same setup here. Have not installed the 3.0 version for the MXO2 (Media Composer). Still using 2.3.3 for Snow Leopard. It will be nice when Matrox will have an update version for both FCP and Media Composer.
FYI, v2.3.3 works with my Lion drive.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:05:57 pm

Thanks mates.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mac McDougal
on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:05:11 pm

Very helpful Shane. Thanks! I hope you feel better now. I'm on Lion 10.7.3. When I try to open FCP7, or projects completed in FCP7 on OS X 10.6.whatthehell, I get the beachball of death. Anybody out there who can provide an answer other than "It's working for me, what's your problem?"

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 30, 2012 at 11:10:56 pm

You asked: "Does anyone know if my FCP 7 will ever run on Lion?"

All we can really do is relate our personal experiences. My personal experience is that FCP 7 works on Lion. Or works fine for me. That is the answer I can give.

Is it SUPPORTED? Yes...Lion came out when FCP 7 was still being sold. And according to many sites I googled, they say "Yes, Apple says FCP 7 is supported on Lion." This one for example:

http://finalcutwhiz.com/news/final-cut-and-lion/

And it links to Apple's own site that says that FCP 7.0.3 is compatible with Lion.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4769

So...you must be running FCP 7.0.3. Are you doing that? And I related my personal experience with the matter...FCP 7 is working on Lion on my computer. What more can I tell you? it isn't working for you? OK...did you do a CLEAN install, or simply an upgrade of the OS? A clean install is the better way to go about it, and is what I did. Installing major updates on top of things never is flawless for me (PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)...so I always back up my files, erase the hard drive, or clone the hard drive then erase it...and install everything fresh. That way I ensure things are installed properly.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Cole
on Jun 8, 2012 at 9:06:21 pm

WTF?

I've been using FCS 7 on my iMac with Snow Leopard for several years. My iMac had some issues so Apple decided to replace it (had AppleCare) with a new iMac with Lion pre-installed. Now my FCS 7 keep crashing! I took it to Apple and they had no clue.

Any ideas on what I should do? I'm very close to being fed up and start working on Premiere even though I don't want to.

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jun 8, 2012 at 9:10:29 pm

7.0.3 is stable on Lion but 7.0.0 isn't.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Mark Cole
on Jun 8, 2012 at 11:28:50 pm

I'm running 10.7.4

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jun 8, 2012 at 11:34:53 pm

I meant FCP 7.0.3.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Rohit Sardesai
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:01:02 am

Hello Mr. Ross.
in your earlier comment on 9th February, 2012, you mentioned that Final Cut Pro 7 works on OSX Lion. Can you please help me to understand how you made this work. As a matter of fact, I have been trying to figure this out for a long time. I am currently operating with OSX Lion 10.7.5 And on my system Final Cut Pro 7 does not work.
I would sincerely appreciate your help on the matter.
Thanks a lot.
- Cheers,
- RoSS. (Actually, my friends call me RoSS)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:22:13 pm

Well, it just works. I bought a computer with LION installed, and then installed FCP 7. I also have a tower, where I started with a clean slate...started with a new hard drive, installed Lion fresh, then my apps. I don't update the OS if I can help it. I back up my files, erase and install everything fresh.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:24:42 pm

Are you running the 7.0.3 update? It's the only version that was stable for me on Lion.

My software:
More tools...

Return to posts index

Dinesh Kampani
on Sep 22, 2012 at 6:34:56 am

I recently moved from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. So far I have not seen any issue working within the FCP Studio 3 environment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]