FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surrogate or "stand-in" files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Cucco
Surrogate or "stand-in" files
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:32:00 pm

Quick (dumb) question here...

I'm working with 1080/30P files transcoded from AVCHD to ProResLT. The video footage is usually between 30-60 minutes of having 2 or 3 cameras capture the same event. (Classical symphony concerts from multiple angles).

I try to do multiclip editing in FCP 7.0.3 and I can set up the project with no problem, but when I try to play back multiple 1080P ProRes LT files in real time, I get no better than .5 FPS. I know part of this is a system resource problem (I need more RAM!), but I'm wondering if there is a way that I can use lower-rez files in place of the hi-rez files and then go in afterwards and switch the source files. In other words, edit using a 480i stand in file and then when I'm ready to bounce/render, I can tell it to use the 1080P files instead and then turn on the effects, etc. and have it render in 1080P.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

PS - I've been keeping all projects at the highest resolution until I do all edits and effects. That means, even projects that are destined for DVD only get processed at 1080P. Is this stupid? My background is in audio editing and mastering and in that realm, you do all edits and processing at the highest resolution until you're ready to spit out your final project.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Surrogate or "stand-in" files
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:48:27 pm

[Jeremy Cucco] "I know part of this is a system resource problem (I need more RAM!), "

No...you need a faster hard drive setup. Firewire won't cut this. eSATA, Fibre, SAS...thunderbolt. That's what you need.

[Jeremy Cucco] "but I'm wondering if there is a way that I can use lower-rez files in place of the hi-rez files and then go in afterwards and switch the source files."

Sure. Use the Media Manager to RECOMPRESS all the footage as either ProRes Proxy (recommended) or Offline RT (smaller, but any graphics or moves on stills will have to be redone, as the difference in dimensions is pretty major).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cucco
Re: Surrogate or "stand-in" files
on Feb 7, 2012 at 8:02:27 pm

Umm...I'm using an internal SSD on a separate SATA bus from my primary hard drive. I would think that should be fast enough. Besides, FW (1 or 2) has more than enough throughput and bandwidth to handle 2 video streams at 1080P in a ProResLT codec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]