FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona LHe...What does it do exactly?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tarroza
AJA Kona LHe...What does it do exactly?
on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:53:00 pm

I have been working with an agency for almost a year. I have a Kona LHe and a KL Box, it was installed before I started for the previous editor but, embarrassingly enough, I really have no idea as to what it does. I mainly work in FCP 7 and After Effects, and other than using it to display to my broadcast monitor, I have no idea what else it is capable of.

I have a mixer, a Betacam SP deck (that I've never used since I started), and a Sony CRT broadcast monitor, all connected together with XLR and BNC cables.

As of now, my workflow is to work in ProRes as that's what I am familiar with. I have a deep feeling that I'm missing out on something...

I know a bunch of you pros may be face palming at the moment, but hey, we were all novices at some point. Unfortunately, no one taught me any of this stuff when i started as I'm the only video guy here. A layman's terms explanation of what I'm missing out would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: AJA Kona LHe...What does it do exactly?
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:36:56 pm

[Chris Tarroza] "other than using it to display to my broadcast monitor, I have no idea what else it is capable of."

Hi Chris

Broadly the Kona Lhe is a video input/output card that performs several functions. Obviously the output part you use as its hooked up to your monitor. This may also be used to feed a VTR in order to be able to lay off to tape. (Doesnt sound like you ever do this)
It also has inputs so you can capture from tape or other video sources.
The card also lets you control a VTR so you can accuratly record from or lay off to tape.

It has a selection of input and outputs including SDI, Component and Composite, these are selectable via the AJA Control Panel software and you would need to plug up the relevant connections to your KL box.

It has 2 digital SDI outputs and an analogue output. These can be used simoultainiously and the SDI outputs can downres in realtime from HD to SD.
The LHe does not have a realtime upres like a Kona 3 for example.

It can also perform other functions like software conversion where you can select various pulldown patterns and you can also set it to record with a timelapse function so capture 1 frame every 1 sec for example.

I would open the Control Panel and then you will see all of the functions - the controls for the primary and secondary outputs the downres, video and audio monitoring options format selection etc etc.

There are a few other bits and bobs in there but thats about the jist of it.

Hope that helps

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:38:35 pm

Capture cards like the Kona LHe allow for capture of non-firewire tape formats, like the betaSP deck that you never used. Digibeta, HDCAM, HDCAM SR, D5, MII, Umatic...more! If you need to capture something that isn't DV, HDV or DVCPRO HD tape, you need a capture card.

Also, it outputs a video signal to the broadcast monitor for client viewing, and for proper monitoring so you can color correct. Without the card, the only formats you would be able to view on the external monitor at full quality are DV and DVCPRO HD...and as long as a camera or deck was connected. HDV can only be viewed as DV via firewire...because it is a funky format.

Without the capture card, that broadcast monitor would be blank.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Tarroza
on Feb 7, 2012 at 8:49:52 pm

Thank you for the replies.

Judging by my workflow, it doesn't have much affect other than being able to use it as a client monitor. Through my tenure here I've only dealt with importing and exporting digitally, never had to touch a tape.

I occasionally have this problem when trying to get a proper image on my monitor. Reminds me of VCR days when I was a kid and I had to adjust the tracking.

The problem is on and off, and sometimes much worse than the image posted here. The card is connected to the KL Box, which is connected to the beta deck and that goes out to the monitor. Could it possibly be the deck? Since I don't use it, can I just bypass the deck and go from the box directly to the monitor?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 7, 2012 at 9:31:50 pm

Bypass the deck. NO reason to run through it if you aren't going to output to it. But with that monitor you are limited to viewing SD. Need an HD monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Chris Tarroza
on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:38:20 pm

The beginner questions keep coming (I got a bunch of them)

What would be the difference between using a broadcast monitor and a properly calibrated LCD TV, from say Best Buy or something.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2012 at 5:23:09 am

[Chris Tarroza] "What would be the difference between using a broadcast monitor and a properly calibrated LCD TV, from say Best Buy or something."

The quality of electronics involved. The Broadcast monitor will have higher end stuff than HDTVs. But unless you are prepping a show for broadcast, you don't need one. And HDTV will be fine. If you are prepping for broadcast, and color correcting for broadcast, then you need a broadcast monitor that is properly calibrated.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 9, 2012 at 3:14:28 pm

IMHO, "properly setup" by a best buy tech isnt' a bad idea, it's just not enough... I've had this done two times to my home plasmas, and they sure look better, but they still can't be calibrated with color bars so it's really just a "near proper" calibration.

You need a monitor with a blue only display cability to set it up to broadcast standards, and to really see exactly what you're doing.

The only exception to this that I know of is a Matrox box (the MXO 2's and minis) whose control panel supplies a blue only output. Still better to have the real deal pro HD monitor to use for proper color correction.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:42:02 pm

You have a sync reference issue. The Kona and the monitor need a common video source as reference as does the Beta machine if you are playing out to tape or capturing. The easiest thing is to switch the Sony monitor off external reference and it will automatically sync to the incoming signal from the Kona.

It sounds like you have a complicated setup which isn't properly synced. Best bet would be to get a tech who understands all this to look at the setup, connect things appropriately and show you the options in the Kona control panel to make sure you are properly monitoring.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:11:52 pm

[Michael Gissing] "You have a sync reference issue."

My guess is that you are going thru a BVU Betacam deck. They require a sync reference. Turn off the deck and go directly from the card to the monitor and you should be fine.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]