FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:3 to 16:9 without stretch?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Nahroniak
4:3 to 16:9 without stretch?
on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:14:18 pm

I have an old on-air video asset that is 4:3 with black sidebars on the side that needs to be published to the web. The client is requesting if it's possible to make this video 16:9 without stretching it. With access to the source file, is it possible to re-export the 4:3 video to 16:9 without compromising the quality? The video is HD. Would I use compressor to do this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: 4:3 to 16:9 without stretch?
on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:36:22 pm

One option is to zoom in on the frame and crop the top and bottom to fit the 16:9. Another is to use something like Andy's Elastic Aspect (a free plugin) in FCP to adjust how much or how little stretching is done in certain areas of the image. People are used to seeing the elastic aspect effect because it is how home 16:9 TVs treat a 4:3 image to fill the screen.

Joe

Return to posts index

Stephen Nahroniak
on Feb 7, 2012 at 4:15:21 pm

Hmm, I tried downloading the plugin and it upon installation it read "wrong file type". What should my sequence settings be if I want to crop to 16:9?

Return to posts index

Stan Koziel
on Oct 5, 2012 at 5:49:18 pm

This works. Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 7, 2012 at 4:32:24 pm

If it's a 4x3 SD clip in a 16x9 HD sequence, you can simply scale the clip up until it fits in a 16x9 frame, then play with vertical position so you don't lose anything vital in the shot.

If the client wants EVERYTHING from the 4x3 shot within a 16x9 aspect ratio, there's only one choice: stretch it horizontally.

To compensate for the loss of resolution when you scale, you can use Instant HD from Red Giant Software. It can HELP, but it can't CURE. Nothing really can. The SD clip's quality will indeed be compromised. You can't help that. There's a reason why one of them is called STANDARD definition, and the other is called HIGH definition.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen Nahroniak
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:03:10 pm

Thanks Dave, that helps. What exactly do you mean to play it in vertical position?

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:36:10 pm

Set your Sequence Settings to 1280x720 (HDTV 720p) then drop your 4:3 clip into the timeline. Double click on it to bring it up in the Viewer. Click on the Motion tab in the viewer, scale your clip to 200%, or whatever it takes to fill it side-to-side in the Canvas window.

In the top center of the Canvas window there are three little buttons, click on the one farthest to the right, it looks like a crosshairs target. Select Image+Wireframe. Now when you click and hold on the image in the Canvas you can move the picture vertically or anywhere you want to suit your needs.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Stephen Nahroniak
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:40:19 pm

That is what I did, thank you. What about export settings?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:57:30 pm

Play WITH the clip's vertical position.

Since you have to cut off the top & bottom of a 4x3 picture to fit in a 16x9 frame, something's got to give. You'll need to make sure all the vital action still remains in the frame. You have only two directions to move the clip to make sure that happens, up or down.

Got graphics in these clips that fit in 4x3 title safe? You'll have to remake them for 16x9, because they'll get cut off.

The news keeps getting better, no?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Miguel Costa
on Nov 19, 2013 at 1:56:27 am

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post, probably not! So sorry

Can anyone tell me if there is a name for this effect look that is (and has been) used when working with 4:3 footage to fill a 16:9 frame.

You are basically copying the last few pixels from the 4:3 frame and pasting them to cover up the black vertical space (in other words, filling up the frame). Obviously a blur has been added to the repeated pixels as not to draw attention away from the original 4:3 image.

I hope this makes sense and i hope my embedded image comes out!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:57:32 am

You scale the 4x3 clip to fit the comp size. Then you blur it. Then you put the 4x3 clip on top. Done.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]