FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: recovering files from an old Sony domestic dvd camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam taylor
OT: recovering files from an old Sony domestic dvd camera
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:12:25 pm

A friend has asked me to rescue some video from camcorder discs recorded around 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, all he can remember is the camera was a Sony. It was borrowed so he does not have access to it.
He has tried every possible dvd player/ps3/blu-ray/computer to access the videos but nothing will play the disc or even recognise a disc has been loaded.

I have every confidence that i will not be able to do anymore than try it in my mac - but i wondered if anyone else has any experience of opening such discs and if they do, would they mind giving me a few pointers?

thanks
Adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: OT: recovering files from an old Sony domestic dvd camera
on Feb 6, 2012 at 2:22:24 pm

Were the disks ever finalized? If not, they won't play. You might try to find another Sony DVD camcorder and see if it could possibly be used to finalize the DVD's. Even if you can't remember the exact model, another DVD camera MIGHT be able to finalize the disks for playback.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Feb 6, 2012 at 2:27:54 pm

Good point Tom....knowing the technical prowess of my friend, its doubtful the discs were properly made.

adam

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Feb 6, 2012 at 3:11:40 pm

You might see if you can find a Sony DVD recorder (like a VHS player) and see if that will work. I know it will finalize discs made in another Sony DVD recorder so maybe it'd work. I picked up a refurb model on buy.com for $60 and it's pretty nice!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Feb 6, 2012 at 3:17:38 pm

nice idea - i actually have a sony dvd recorder...although i dont think its hd capable, and my friend seems to think the disc is hd.

thanks

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:56:14 am

just as a finish up to this post - using a Sony DVD recorder, i can play the discs (which are not HD but simply mini dvd-r discs). The Sony recorder will not allow me to finalize the discs, but i can still play them out through my Matrox MX02 and record the files to prores ready for burning to a standard dvd.

My friend was almost in tears when he saw the files on the disc do actually exist!

Thanks for the suggestion Tony - i probably would have never even thought of using the old dvd recorder!

adam

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:59:53 pm

You're very welcome! It just struck me when I saw the "finalize disc" and Sony in there. I had a friend how always had trouble with one of those old mini DVD-r cameras and we were always trying to find fixes.

Anyway, have an awesome day!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]