FORUMS: list search recent posts

different frame size and rate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
taila wong
different frame size and rate
on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:07:44 am

Hi All,

I have some footage shot with different cameras (lumix and 2 GO PRO cameras),and need to put all together in one timeline, I´m using Final Cut Pro 7. I already read some posts but cant understand which works for me. So this is what i have:

Lumix:

M2TS
Frame Syze:1920x1080
Frame Rate: 25 FPS
Scan Type: interlaced
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

GO PRO 1:

MP4
Frame Size: 1280x960
Frame Rate: 29.97 FPS
Scan Type: Progressive
Aspect Ratio: 4:3

GO PRO 2:

MP4
Frame Size: 1280X720
Frame Rate: 50 FPS
Scan Type: Progressive
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

I think I should convert all to apple pro res 422, but i'm confuse to what frame size and rate should i choose.
I want to do some slow motions too, what is the best option?? Conform in cinema tools??
I try to convert 29fps with1280x960 to 25fps with 1280x720, but image looks flattened. when I convert 29 to 25fps without change the frame size, looks good, but i will still have to render this footage in final cut, and is not what i want.
should i convert interlaced to progressive?
I intend to deliver my movie to a boadcast channel and want to upload to youtube.
I need to send a format that plays in PC too.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: different frame size and rate
on Feb 5, 2012 at 12:00:37 am

Talia...it's not that we don't know what to do...it's just that this is quite a mess. 25fps and 50fps...no problem. but 29.97 to 25, that's tricky to get it to look right. Plus some of the GoPro was probably shot 50fps because it was intended to be used as slow motion.

There are so many variables to take into account here, and a lot of it depends on your needs. What do you want the main frame rate to be? Delivery for broadcast...OK, what format of delivery? If the 50fps needs to be slow motion, then you need to convert to slow motion.

This isn't a simple "hey do this...." dealing with mixed frame rates and formats and different delivery specs. THis is a very complex beast. If you are in over your head, you should get someone on site to help out. This isn't easily tackled in a forum post...not without committing a lot of time and knowledge. Some of us have time for quick tips to get someone in the right direction, but not for full out messes like this.

Convert everything to ProRes. Keep the 720p50 as that..and use it in a 25fps sequence, it will be fine. If you need to slow motion it...use CINEMA TOOLS to conform the clip. DUPLICATE IT FIRST...as it changes the speed on the clip you conform. Choose the sequence setting that matches the most dominant format and delivery spec. Converting the NTSC to PAL will be tricky...you will need to use Compressor and play with settings. That's not easy. And I didn't think the LUMIX shot interlaced...

Sorry to not be more help. But that should get you started.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 5, 2012 at 12:02:09 am

Talia...it's not that we don't know what to do...it's just that this is quite a mess. 25fps and 50fps...no problem. but 29.97 to 25, that's tricky to get it to look right. Plus some of the GoPro was probably shot 50fps because it was intended to be used as slow motion.

There are so many variables to take into account here, and a lot of it depends on your needs. What do you want the main frame rate to be? Delivery for broadcast...OK, what format of delivery? If the 50fps needs to be slow motion, then you need to convert to slow motion.

This isn't a simple "hey do this...." dealing with mixed frame rates and formats and different delivery specs. THis is a very complex beast. If you are in over your head, you should get someone on site to help out. This isn't easily tackled in a forum post...not without committing a lot of time and knowledge. Some of us have time for quick tips to get someone in the right direction, but not for full out messes like this.

Convert everything to ProRes. Keep the 720p50 as that..and use it in a 25fps sequence, it will be fine. If you need to slow motion it...use CINEMA TOOLS to conform the clip. DUPLICATE IT FIRST...as it changes the speed on the clip you conform. Choose the sequence setting that matches the most dominant format and delivery spec. Converting the NTSC to PAL will be tricky...you will need to use Compressor and play with settings. That's not easy. And I didn't think the LUMIX shot interlaced...

Sorry to not be more help. But that should get you started.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

taila wong
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:01:30 am

Hello Shane,

I knew it wasnt easy to answer my question, but you give me a big light!
Really thanks for your help!!

Kind Regards,

Taila Wong

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]