FORUMS: list search recent posts

live capture on set

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jordi robert
live capture on set
on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:01:43 pm

Hi Guys
not sure if i'm in the right forum, apologies if I'm not.
I'm looking for a software that will allow me to view and capture live footage on set.
I have a DSLR Canon 7D and a Sony Z7. I work with FCP on a Macpro and with Avid on a pc. I would prefer to get a software Mac compatible.
What I want to be able to do is to have the Mac on set with a HD monitor connected to the 7D or sony z7 to view and direct the camera operators and to capture.
Does such a software exist? Can you point me in the right direction?
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: live capture on set
on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:14:11 pm

Sorry, you're out of luck. The 7D doesn't have HD video out. I really doubt the Z7 does, either.

The best you can do is record, then Log & Transfer to ProRes 422 and edit in Multiclip.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jordi robert
on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:33:07 pm

Thanks Dave

Sony Z7 has HDMI out, and Canon 7D (which i only got today) has a mini HDMI out connector, but I think its only for tv viewing, correct?

I think what I'm looking for is an alternative to "Adobe onlocation"

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:50:40 pm

If you have a card that takes HDMI in then FCP can capture to ProRes in Log & Capture if you select uncontrolled device and click capture now.

The 7D as far as I know doesn't give a clean feed via HDMI without the onscreen data. The 5Dmk2 certainly doesn't

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:53:32 pm

If you really want to do live capture, use different cameras.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

jordi robert
on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:01:42 am

Thanks Michael, I'll try that.

Steve, I wish I had 27 cameras to choose from or 27 million dollars to buy what ever camera you suggest me. Unfortunately I got what I got and have to make to most of it. Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:26:20 am

The Canon DSLRs aren't video cameras...they don't have proper video connections. This is very apparent in that when you connect HDMI out to a monitor, the LCD shuts down...you can only view on that monitor. And it isn't clean, you see the overlays, even if you turn them all off, there are bars at the top and bottom. Then, if you press RECORD on the camera, the output via HDMI no longer is HD, it switches to SD.

The HVR Z7U is better. It has HDMI out that is proper. You can still see the image in the camera...record to tape at the same time. Just go HDMI out from that to HDMI in on a Matrox MXO2 Mini, AJA IO Express (IOXT if you want thunderbolt) and then into a laptop with Express34 (or Thunderbolt). Each card maker has a video capture app, or you can use FCP, or Avid MC6.

Or get an AJA KiPro, KiPro Mini or Atmos Ninja and record direct from the camera to hard drive as ProRes.
These to not work with the Canon DSLRs for all the reasons I listed above. Not a clean signal, and switches to SD when you press record.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:29:14 am

Shane the SD switch is a problem with the 5D but I think the 7D stays 1920 x 1080 but with the bars as you mention.

Also to add to your list of ProRes capture devices, Sound Designs PIX240 is an excellent alternative to the Atomos & AJA devices.

Return to posts index

jordi robert
on Feb 4, 2012 at 1:50:18 am

Thank you Shane.
I like the Ninja!
Silly question: Can I capture live footage using the Firewire 800 output of the Sony Z7 to my Macpro? I guess that if that was possible, you would have told me already, and I'm not at work to try it.

Thanks alot guys

Jordi

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:44:41 am

Yes you can but it will be 1440 x 1080 HDV codec. It is possible to convert to ProRes on the fly via firewire but it would be more reliable to go in HDMI and capture as ProRes

Return to posts index

jordi robert
on Feb 4, 2012 at 2:29:36 pm

Thank you Michael

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 4, 2012 at 5:50:12 pm

[jordi robert] "Sony Z7 has HDMI out, and Canon 7D (which i only got today) has a mini HDMI out connector, but I think its only for tv viewing, correct?"
As Shane wrote, the Z7 has an standard signal going out of the HDMI, but that doesn't happens with the D7. What you get out of the HDMI of the Canon is good enough for focus and monitoring, but nothing worth to be recorded.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Feb 5, 2012 at 6:37:26 pm

Jordi

The software that ships with the Canon 7D allows remote tethering to a laptop over USB. You'd still record in the camera, but you can monitor the picture and remote start/stop on the laptop. It's pretty cool, but there's a one or two second lag introduced with the USB connection. I've used it with the 7D mounted on a jib and it did the trick.

Cheaper than an outboard recorder!

Cheers

John

Return to posts index

Mathew White
on Mar 12, 2012 at 7:32:21 pm

I don't know if you have solved this, but this is something I already do.

Get the Blackmagic 'Intensity Pro' HDMI input card for your Mac Pro (Make sure you switch of Skype when running it! that issue drove me crazy!) http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/models/ You can pick up this card for a little over £100

Plug your Z7's HDMI output the the Intensity Pro's input...

job done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]