FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fastest workflow - XDCAM or P2

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Santos
Fastest workflow - XDCAM or P2
on Feb 3, 2012 at 8:42:50 pm

Hi all,
I'm sorting out a job and have to decide whether to shoot on EX3's or HPX250's, i.e. XDCAM or P2. We'll have 4 cameras shooting. It's quick turnaround shooting 2 or 3 20 minute surf events per day, then cutting a 5 min highlight of the each event on site for webcasting.
We'll have 2 laptops sharing media.
I'm trying to work out the best workflow. Now normally I always transcode to either ProRes or DNxHD depending whether it's Avid or FCP. But with time being a major issue, and the relatively small amount of media, I'm wondering whether I can avoid the transcoding of the footage and just either link to it (FCP) or AMA link to it (Avid) and get straight onto the editing.
Am I just asking for trouble or is this a viable option? Should I just bite the bullet and take the time to transcode? I'm intending to use FCP as the systems tend to be cheaper to hire (especially when sharing media), but could be persuaded to go the Avid route if AMA will be a better option, time wise.
Any thoughts will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Fastest workflow - XDCAM or P2
on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:04:44 pm

DVCPRO HD P2, or AVCIntra P2?

In the Avid, it won't matter. Use AMA to access, then consolidate. That'll just copy over the files to the Avid folder. Or, you can edit right from the backups instantly, as Avid and MXF are good friends.

FCP...if it is DVCPRO HD P2, then it can import quickly. The Log and Transfer process is fast, as all it is doing is copying to capture scratch and re-wrapping as QT. AVCIntra, however, poses slight speed issues. You can come in native, and that will be as fast as DVCPRO HD, but there are no AVCIntra sequence settings, you'll have to use ProRes. And the slow part is when you need to render the final. But, it will be faster than transcoding to ProRes all of the footage in the beginning.

Then it all depends on how quick your editors are on the systems.

XDCAM, if it is MXF, will come into Avid quickly. XDCAM MP4...yeah, you can AMA, but working natively with that isn't smooth, so need to transcode. And FCP...same thing, need to transcode to ProRes.

P2 will be faster.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Santos
Re: Fastest workflow - XDCAM or P2
on Feb 4, 2012 at 7:17:36 pm

Thanks Shane,
That's exactly the sort of answer I was after - concise, detailed and complete!
Just need to sort out with the client exactly which way we need to go and we're there - apart from doing the actual job!
Thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved